on 12 April 2013
This has to be one of the best books I've read.

I'm a web developer (not designer at all) and after reading this book it's the first time I feel like I can actually design something because it tells you the principles of design in plain English and concentrates on making sure you can name these principles, as once you've named them you can understand and implement them.

There's no wishy washy arty design stuff in this, much more 'concrete' principles that are actually described and well defined.

If you're a developer who thinks you can't design because you don't have that 'flare' or creative spark (I was) then this will change that!

If you're interested in a more in-depth review here's a link to my blog:
[...]
on 7 September 2003
A really useful and easy read. You don't feel you are being talked down to or that the author is trying to blind you with science. It carries you on a journey of learning. It won't make you a professional designer, but it teaches you to use CRAP(*) to make sure your designs aren't!
Robin is a brilliant communicator and you feel that she is there beside you helping you discover what makes good design. Lots of illustrations help get the points across.
(*) CRAP is the acronym for four key principles of design that are logically explained throughout the book. I won't steal Robin's thunder by saying what it stands for. You'll have to get the book for that. It's worth it.
on 26 June 2009
I am a software developer so I am naturally awful at creating things that look good ;)

I am very much aware of user experience though, and I hate the idea that I am potentially creating something useful that no one ever wants to pick up because of bad UI designer.

This author came highly recommended to be, and I can see why. Robin does an excellent job of breaking down the concepts of design and demonstrating them. This book has really opened my eyes to the basic principles of good design and made an excellent "foot in the door".

A must for those that are not naturally artistic-creatives :)
on 14 February 2006
Don't let the apparent simplicity of this book fool you. It's one of those little things that forever changes your worldview. Definitely aimed at people new to font, type and page layout (as I was) Robin knows how to communicate the essence of page design...in her own words, she's definitely teaching you how to handle the fishing rod! Even if you think you have a natural affinity for design, the teachings here really sharpens your eyes and offers a language to describe what you've always intuitively known. Her four basic principles (proximity, contrast, repetition, alignement) equip you to become a far better designer. Half way through the book I started to redesign even my resume...and improved it to no end! Thanks Robin.
on 4 January 2007
This book is easy to read and covers all the principles that can make great design. It doesn't matter if you want to put together a report, a flyer or the local nursery school jumble sale poster, this book will help you to design a more impressive result. I would go as far as to say this book should be required reading for any non-professional designer that is responsible for producing literature for group or public consumption.

A great starter for anyone interested in design.
on 20 June 1997
This book will get you to "think visually" whenever you look at a printed page. More than to just recognize the good, bad and plain 'ol ugly, you'll learn techinques to make any document you produce compelling and a joy to read.

My day job includes producing proposals of anywhere from 6 to 100 pages, and since I first read this book about a year ago, I've been getting raves from clients that they always want to pick my stuff up first from the piles they recieve.

Another plus is that all of Robin William's books are clearly, concisely and compactly composed. They are a joy to read, especially after slogging so many 300-500 page desktop design books.
on 19 October 1998
I help organizations establish their own multimedia teams and have been wondering for some time how to teach "ordinary computer users" (with no creative background) to create professional looking multimedia projects.
Well, although this book was meant for the print media, I still found it outstanding as a tool to teach non-creative background multimedia designers basic design concepts that really make their projects look more proefessional.
So, if you are developing multimedia/web-site projects, THIS BOOK IS A MUST FOR YOU TOO!
Keep up the good work!
Edwin Wong
on 29 January 1999
First and foremost, thanks to the author. I am a computer consultant and this book allowed me to complete several websites using the design principles within.
I also am preparing to purchase her new book "The Non-Designer's Web Book : An Easy Guide to Creating, Designing, and Posting Your Own Web Site" without hesistation.
The design of the book assists in illustrating the principles described within, the author presents the information in a logical well thought out fashion.
I would recommend (and have) this book to engineers and other technical individuals who are faced with the need to produce web sites and other design oriented projects.
I like many others have the technical expertise to produce HTML, cgi, perl and java - I just needed someone to help bring my site ideas and design principals into focus.
I guess it's like having a professional designer on call, except you can't beat her rates. If you are looking for a great book on typography along with some basic design information then this book is for you.
I've had more success with this book than with any of my other $50 - $70 manuals describing website design.
I could go on but I think you get the general idea. This is a good investment.
Feel free to email me if you find anything half as good! tcarter@sphericalthinking.net
on 4 June 2009
This book gives great advice in an easy to understand format. It has instantly made a difference to the look & feel of my documents.

I now have a hunger to move onto more advanced topics
on 8 July 1997
This, and other Robin Williams books will not only change the way you create printed documents, it will change the way you evaluate a printed page. In a clear, concise, and informative style, you'll learn the principles of good design.

Another distinguishing plus is that this book is a joy to read. The majority of desktop publishing books are written by designers who need training in writing; this is certainly not the case here.

A must-have, along with "The Mac/PC Is Not A Typewriter" and her other books.