Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 10 September 2013
If you are struggling to make sense of your camera's handbook and wonder if you'll ever manage to take a decent picture, don't give up - buy this book! Scott Kelby explains how to use your camera without using jargon, and literally tells you step-by-step what to do to achieve the result you want. I was feeling disheartened and a bit thick, as I seemed to be getting nowhere with my lovely new Nikon, but this book cut through all the technical stuff and got me started taking good pictures by telling me to do this, this and this to get that result. With Scott's encouragement, I started having fun with my camera, and had the confidence to play around with it. I've since bought Books 2, 3, and 4 and they are great, too - same format, same philosophy, and you just grow in knowledge and skill as you progress.
7 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2014
Having recently got back in to photography I have been doing a lot of reading and self-teaching. The Scott Kelby “The Digital Photography Book’ series has been one of the best series books I have read and would thoroughly recommend the whole set.
For me, the best part of the books has always been the recipes, most books cover the theory behind taking photograph’s and the general rules to follow (or to break), but for me, actually seeing what goes behind a real shot and what can be produced has always been more useful to me.
I was however a little sceptical if a whole book based around this idea would be useful, or even worth the money. After reading part 5 I have to say that my initial scepticism was misplaced, this book is well worth the money. Seeing what goes behind each shot, the tips, the tricks, how Scott positions himself, the camera, all makes for a very informative and excellent book.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in photography or wants to improve from what they already know. It doesn't matter what level you are, there will always be something more for you to learn.
Ps. After reading the book..i need to get myself a 70-200mm lens
5 people found this helpful
on 26 November 2015
I would have given this book 5stars (or 5.9) if it was'nt for the first 3 or 4 pages of strange humour, which nearly put me off,and I nearly did'nt continue reading. That would have been a bad move, as the rest of the book is excellent. Very well organised, especially for me (a novice), with each page concentrating on a single feature, and the pages grouped into subjects. His approach gets right to the nitty gritty, is well explained and somehow inserting a lot of extra information for what equipment to buy and where, and how to save money by using simple (low cost) items to aid shooting better photographs, all in one page. He has written this book as if he is alongside you whilst you are taking photos,and giving direction and helpful tips. If I don't improve my photographic skills now, then I never will.
on 5 February 2010
This book is aimed squarely at the beginner however even the more experienced photographer is likely to find a few useful tips contained within.

Firstly a caveat to this review - why I gave it 4 stars and not 5. Unfortunately, the book contains a great deal of Scott Kelby's humour padding out the pages. Some may find the friendly tone helpful, others (such as myself) will find this unnecessary. Either the editor should have made the book smaller with less pages or asked Scott to include more tips.

With that out of the way, I can honestly say this book is generally excellent throughout. Most of the advice given in this book is sound, the American slant on sources of equipment will be of little use to International readers, but everything else is great.

For new Digital SLR users this book is probably required reading. Users of Compact Digital cameras will not gain as much, though a large amount of the advice is common to either camera type. Compact users may find the improvement in skills and technique this book offers gives them to confidence to advance to using a Digital SLR. A note of caution, SLR photography can get expensive in a hurry!

One part of the book worth singling out for particular praise is "The Recipe for getting this type of Shot" section. Flick through the back of the book and find the photo of a picture type that you would like to take (eg. a portrait or architecture or landscape shot) and you will find concise help on taking that type of shot. This section alone makes the book worthy of being kept in your camera bag ready at all times.

To Sum Up: For Beginners to Digital SLR photography, required reading. For Advanced Digital Compact users, still useful.
on 19 February 2010
I was browsing one of the big chain bookstores and flipped through this book starting at the back, as I often do. It made a difference in me deciding to buy it, because the back is full of simple explanations of how to achieve certain shots. I didn't notice the 'humour' that other people complain about in their reviews here. If I had started at the front, which has endless lame jokes and zero information, I would have passed on buying it.

Despite using a DSLR for about 5 years and being a Photoshop user for twice that, I discovered lots of useful tips that will make a big impact on how I take photos. I found out why my flower shots are dull. I learnt why most of my forest shots have failed. It never occurred to me panoramics should be shot with the camera in a portrait position. I've never put much thought in the paper used for my prints, but I will now.

Some of the tips though are very basic and the one tip per page approach means the overall content is a bit low for a book of this length. What I've done is made a bulletpoint list to use in the field, then flog the book on as it has a high resale value.

Another gripe about the book is how many of the illustrative shots have been bought through royalty-free websites. This means those photographers have earned a few measly dollars to have their work featured in what trumpets itself as 'the best-selling photography book of all time.' If your photos are good, you deserve good prices for them and it's a shame the author chose to go cheap.
on 3 June 2012
This is a concise book showing many different photographic situations, portrait,landscape,sports (and many others) with accompanying photograph,camera settings and a brief,clear and simple yet well explained and straight to the point description of how they were taken and how you can do the same.Photo's are all very high quality, printed on good quality paper. I am just starting out in photography with Nikon's entry level model - D3100 and found it very interesting,helpful and easy to understand.Masses of excellent tips easy to put into practice.Humor takes a bit of getting used to, but not really what I bought the book for! Also very well priced. Will definitely buy from this author again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 September 2011
There are dozens of digital photography books out there, each of which says it will improve readers' photography; contingent on initial standards, they probably will in some way or another. You takes your choice ...

Scott Kelby, a well-respected and often published author, has written one smaller and shorter than many and it offers a wide range of tips, suggestions and techniques. It has some deliberately silly jokes (which will annoy some readers) and he seems to push Canon and Nikon equipment. (He is a professional photographer and it could have been worse; he could have pushed Leica and Hassleblad, both of which are out of most people's reach to become the Jeremy Clarkson of the photographic world.)

It has a range of interesting, effective techniques and is not too wordy or technical. For the average photographer or someone starting out in the digital world, it is an excellent beginning.
on 4 March 2018
Overall a nice book. Good tips. Read the book in a day!

I have given one star less and reason is I was probably expecting more. Especially more scenarios from real life and therefore suggestion on how that could be mitigated. I love photography and keep pushing myself. I feel I knew a lot of things that was in the book. This could be a very good book for DSLR Beginners but for intermediate level I feel it would need more than this.
on 23 July 2015
The rest of the series were excellent, This version takes it to a new level with very clear Set up and Final shot photos and descriptions. It covers a wide range of chapters with several topics under each. It really is the icing on the cake for those who've bought the rest of the books, and would still make a great read for photographers new to the series. The 5th book has something for.beginners and experienced shooters alike. Each topic has notes under 4 areas: Behind the Scenes, Camera Settings; Thought Processes; Post-processing.
on 5 February 2013
I received this yesterday, and I've read through most of it already - it's not a long book - and there are some good tips and guidance in there.

I have to say though, especially for the first chapter, that I find the author's tone particularly grating. Have a look through the sample pages using the "Look Inside" Amazon tool - the first few pages are more over the top than the remainder - however, you'll get a good idea of what you contend with for the remaining 200 odd pages.

I've learnt a few tips, but I can't help but feel that I could have learnt the same, with a less patronising attitude from a number of online sources found through Google in much the same time as it took me to read it and for £8.99 less ...