on 19 February 2010
I was browsing one of the big chain bookstores and flipped through this book starting at the back, as I often do. It made a difference in me deciding to buy it, because the back is full of simple explanations of how to achieve certain shots. I didn't notice the 'humour' that other people complain about in their reviews here. If I had started at the front, which has endless lame jokes and zero information, I would have passed on buying it.

Despite using a DSLR for about 5 years and being a Photoshop user for twice that, I discovered lots of useful tips that will make a big impact on how I take photos. I found out why my flower shots are dull. I learnt why most of my forest shots have failed. It never occurred to me panoramics should be shot with the camera in a portrait position. I've never put much thought in the paper used for my prints, but I will now.

Some of the tips though are very basic and the one tip per page approach means the overall content is a bit low for a book of this length. What I've done is made a bulletpoint list to use in the field, then flog the book on as it has a high resale value.

Another gripe about the book is how many of the illustrative shots have been bought through royalty-free websites. This means those photographers have earned a few measly dollars to have their work featured in what trumpets itself as 'the best-selling photography book of all time.' If your photos are good, you deserve good prices for them and it's a shame the author chose to go cheap.
on 6 August 2010
I did not find this book useful at all. Though there were lots of reviews and good comments about. In brief the book is:
1.put your camera at aperture priority mode
2.put aperture at f(something)
and shoot
if you are lucky you'll get nice photo if not you still have 32 gb memory card just keep shooting at least some few photos would look professional ,even if after shooting some 2000 photos they don't look good still you have photoshop.
ye and the book was buy this, buy that especially tripod.
About the author's humour just one word Rubbish.
So what I did after this disappointing reading.

I went to Waterstones,picked up couple of photography books ,bought a cup of coffee from Costa and start to review them. My selection stopped at Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and Michal Freeman's Photographer's Eye . Then I got them from Amazon great books,5 stars out of 5. As a starter photographer (bought my SLR camera a month ago) I've find them very useful books. Even my friends already long time with photography find these books great.

So my advise do not rush to buy anything , go to your book store , choose some books and review them and only after this order the best ones for you from Amazon.
11 Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 October 2014
The author seems to spend a lot of time photographing models, either outdoors or in the studio. So there is a lot of stuff about where your assistant should hold the diffuser, reflector etc. He even suggests you will improve your travel photography by hiring a local model!!

He also gives tips on weddings, landscapes and sport photography. In fact anything where you can use a tripod. He loves his tripod. And two SLRs and umpteen big lenses. And lots of PP. And wearing a photographer's gilet. If that's your thing you may find this useful.

That said, there are a number of tips that will be of general use, and he doesn't waste time telling you how cameras work.
But don't expect anything on candid photography, fixed lens cameras or the like.

There is a fair amount of info for the money, better than most of the photography ebooks on here. But the content ends at 72%, after that there is a very detailed index.
on 26 November 2015
I would have given this book 5stars (or 5.9) if it was'nt for the first 3 or 4 pages of strange humour, which nearly put me off,and I nearly did'nt continue reading. That would have been a bad move, as the rest of the book is excellent. Very well organised, especially for me (a novice), with each page concentrating on a single feature, and the pages grouped into subjects. His approach gets right to the nitty gritty, is well explained and somehow inserting a lot of extra information for what equipment to buy and where, and how to save money by using simple (low cost) items to aid shooting better photographs, all in one page. He has written this book as if he is alongside you whilst you are taking photos,and giving direction and helpful tips. If I don't improve my photographic skills now, then I never will.
on 9 May 2014
Brill, I like Scott Kelby's work, and his book on basic photography on DLSR's is well informed easy to read and I have mine downloaded onto my iPad as a quick reference guide. Handy for those "senior moments" when out shooting!

He writes like he is standing next to you, OK his humour proves his chosen career as a photographer is the better choice, opposed to him being a comedian! But he gets the message across, makes the understanding your DLSR easy, good tips on settings for different scenarios, and as stated a great quick reference guide.

A good book for beginners and the more experienced amateur photographer, as you never stop learning.

If you are new to photography I would strongly recommend this book as must have reading. This and "Tom Ang's - Digital Photography Masterclass" are the only two books you will ever need - but like me you will or ably end up with 100's!

This book is a good start though!
on 3 December 2006
If you are stepping up to to digital SLR photography and want to know the absolute essentials in as easy a format as possible, together with plenty of illustrations, then this book is for you.

Each individual page addresses an issue or technqiue related to the theme of the chapter. For instance, the chapter 'Shooting Landscapes Like a Pro' has pages entitled 'how to show size', 'why you need a wide-angle lens', 'where to put the horizon line' and so on.

The pictures are of subjects that illustrate the topic in hand, or of buttons on the common cameras, or screenshots of settings menus. In this book you are rarely, if ever, confronted by a page full of nothing but text.

This book is a joy to read and one to which I will regularly refer - and I'm now ready, after some practice, to read some of the larger, more technical books.
11 Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 April 2014
By just reading the first pages I realised that the book is as good as it has been advertised. I was expecting basic level tips as it is rated for beginners but guess what? I am a beginner after all :D. I was already shooting in M mode with my Canon EOS 550D before, I knew the basics of exposure triangle and I could use my on camera spot meter to get the good exposure, I knew how to exposure lock and focus lock, WB and all that but I still was learning from the very beginning of reading the book. I hope it stills this good till the end.
If you really think you're not a beginner anymore because you don't use auto and still don't get the shoots to make you proud, I really recommend you to buy this book. I bought it with the prime delivery I got it the next day. Man, I love amazon.co.uk
on 1 January 2009
As someone who has dabbled in photography for a number of years and proficient in f-stops, aperture and the rest, I was looking for a book that gave some good tips on getting more professional-looking pictures. When I stumbled on this, I was intrigued but dubious thanks to the comments about the author's humour. As noted in another review, it does get tiresome (at least to the British palate). In the end, the reduced price hooked me - I wouldn't have paid the RRP for it.

That said, although I found only a few things I wasn't aware of already, the book is nicely presented and underlines things you know but maybe don't always put into practice. So - if you can stand the humour - I think this is a reasonable buy, with the following proviso.

Sadly, in my view, the author commits one unforgivable error of judgement - in at least two places he blatantly says things that are untrue. As I read each of the examples of this, I felt puzzled because what he was saying seemed unlikely, at best. When he then went on to say it was untrue, I just felt very let down (with, admittedly, a slightly smug smile to myself that I hadn't believed it). It meant that everything else that I was reading had to be treated as though it could be incorrect. For a book that purports to teach, this is unforgivable.
on 9 December 2012
Occasionally one comes across a book that really shape and redefine the way one approaches a topic. I'm sure Mr. Kelby has read one of those books on photography, but has since forgotten most of it. What can you say about a how to-book on "pro-level photography" that uses stock images to a large extent?

The book is organised as 1-page tips under a variety of topics. It does not cover or discuss any technical details.

I am lost on whom is this book trying to target. I got absolutely nothing out of this book, having had some experience in shooting with digital SLRs. However, an complete beginner picking this book up would equally gain nothing, as the tips are so obscure that they would not help them in getting started.

Some of the classic "Pro"-tips Mr. Kelby offers include (he calls them "Pro-tips" to gain credibility):

x) Pro-tip for shooting flowers: buy flowers. (Yes, a he writes a page about this)
x) Pro-tip for shooting people: Hire a model

on 30 January 2015
Only given it three stares as the review is asked for before one has time to read the book. thefore nothing to say about the book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse