on 17 April 2016
Algorithms tend to cover three topics:

(1) A motivation for each algorithm (the problem to be solved)
(2) A description of an algorithm that solves that problem
(3) An analysis of the algorithm (in terms of correctness and performance)

Many algorithms books (including the highly popular Cormen et al book) place most emphasis on (3).

This book, on the other hand, is strongest in (1), placing a lot of emphasis on describing challenging problems. This has the tremendous advantage of really getting you to see why you should even be interested in the algorithms themselves. For that alone, I recommend this book highly.

The only downside is that to make the book approachable, it deemphasises (3) which tends to be rather mathematical. If you are interested in analysis of algorithms, you need another book. If you can afford it, buying this book and the Cormen book would be ideal, since together they cover (1), (2), and (3) well.
on 14 February 2009
I got given a copy of this book so decided to read through it and brush up on some of the basics. I'm no expert in computational complexity but I am familiar with the field.

Overall, 'algorithm design' makes a good attempt at explaining this somewhat tricky subject-matter. The book's only weakness, in my view, is its verbosity. For someone new to algorithms this may be a positive but for more experienced practitioners a denser page to knowledge ratio would have been preferable.

To be fair the book seems to be aimed at undergraduates; with this in mind, I would recommend it as an introductionary text to anyone who favours textual descriptions over mathematical ones.
on 25 October 2016
I use it to get deeper into algorithms.
It seems to be great and helpful, having good explanations, both textual and visual.
There's no reason I should give it less than 5 stars.

One addition would be nice though: to have answers for all exercises.
Now only some exercises have answers, thus making it harder to know if what I did was right.

Nevertheless, it's a great piece of work.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 March 2009
The book is just what I needed for my course at the university so it's fine :)
It was really nice that I could get it so fast and easy. Great service!