Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2008
I'd describe this book as being essential reading for any serious Java developer.
* Joshua provides a clear, concise and insightful guide that will help you better understand the intricacies of Java.
* The book of 78 recipes and helped me immensely to improve my understanding of Java.
* It's provides a no holds barred insight into some of the peculiarities of the Java API's as it has matured over the years.
* In particular I found these chapters useful:
** Generics one of the most illuminating I've read. (Though I still find the Java syntax rather odd in places!)
** Enums and Annotations
** a good intro to the more up to date ways of doing Concurrency.
** I also found the defensive copying example most enlightening.
on 30 May 2009
This book gives a comprehensive series of practical recommendations, on a broad range of topics in the Java 5 API.

It's packed with tips which make you go "aaaah I get it now", as in "I remember wondering about that and making a vaguely instinctive decision, instead of knowing precisely what to do and why".

Highly recommended for anyone who's been Java-ing for a year or 4, and wants to make better-informed design decisions.
on 29 June 2014
Motivation - I'm a professional software engineer, and I bought this because I wanted a book that guides me as to best practice.
Subject matter - Covers Java & OOP best practice in a number of 'items' (nearly 80) and organised loosely into chapters. It's not about how to program with Java, but about writing Java whilst applying industry best practice.
Price - usual high price for a software book.
Conclusion - I'm glad I bought it. I'm still studying my way through, there are so many golden nuggets in this book that I know this will become a reference book for me. Highly recommended if you care about the Java that you write or need to maintain.
on 25 February 2013
This is one of the top 3 books that every java developer should read during his/her career. Joshua Bloch was one of the key players for many years in the API design and implementation of the Java Language. His ideas /comments and tips towards Java development are always to the point and relevant no matter if you doing J2EE or J2SE development
on 14 November 2009
I bought both the first and second editions of this book. I feel that this book has probably made the biggest contribution to my understanding of programming in any language, although it is very much a book about the corners of Java and the pitfalls of many of its advanced features. Whilst many books give advice which fits a particular situation this book gives authoritative detail that empowers you to make a call on whether the technique fits the given situation or visa versa. This book is a must read for anyone who wants to undertake any type of code review of Java - particularly your own code!
on 19 May 2013
Very occasionally in computing you come across a book that entirely changes how you see something. This book did that to me for Java.

Java programming has turned from a chore into a joy as I learned what features _not_ to use. Other books feel they have to teach you how to use all sorts of things you shouldn't be using, just because they exist. This book takes a more intelligent approach.
on 7 October 2013
If you think you knew Java, you will have a chance to consolidate this idea by studying this wonderful book. Most probably you will find a lot of details about this versatile language that you didn't know or knew only a little about them. Also you will have the opportunity to learn about best practices and tweaks that make the difference between sluggish and turbo performance, or save you hours of debugging logical errors which could have been avoided should you have followed the straightforward yet highly technical advice. A must-have for every Java developer.
on 13 January 2010
I haven't still read all the book, I've read half of it.

The book is very interesting. Java is not my main programming language (usually PHP) and there are many things in this book that I would have never thought that were a good idea to do in Java, so definitively very useful.

The only thing I miss is that it just gives hints item by item, hint by hint and is not a guide or tutorial to teach you how to organize or develope a complete solution in Java.

If you already now how to develope a complete solution in Java but want to pay better attention to implementation details buy this book, if you don't still now how to a architect a Java solution, find another book,learn to do it and then read this book.
on 30 May 2014
If you only could buy one Java book, it should be this one. It shows you how to improve your code and avoid really common pitfalls. I bought it last year but still use it from time to time for reference.
on 5 March 2014
This book is well written and comes in handy bite-size nuggets. I frequently lift and flick to an item during a slow build or compile. The focus is understandably on the core Java API - it's a shame there's not the same sort of book available for common third party tools such as JUnit, Log4J, Aspects etc.