on 7 February 2008
I've been a business/systems analyst for about 12 years, and read about 2-3 books a year to keep upto date. I went on a UML course, and this book was recommended by the course tutor.
I think its one of the best UML books I've ever read (and I've read about 20), and indeed one of the best books on analysis I've ever read. What I really like about it is that there are lots and lots of example models, so you're left in no doubt about what the message is and you get to see lots of ways of modelling scenarios.
I will definitely be reading their next book.
on 31 January 2016
Needed for studies, condition was good.
on 13 January 2010
Up-to-date, accurate and lucid, with a modern, helpful layout. Of the half-dozen or so books I've tried to use at college, this one stands head and shoulders above the rest. I found it easy to use as a text-book for initial learning, and later on as a reference book for practical work. The chapter on OCL was especially useful.
I'm a veteran design engineer. This one is staying on my book-shelf.
on 6 September 2012
Having recently read Craig Larmen's: Applying UML and Patterns, I wanted a book that could help me better understand how to use UML to accurately model and design systems - in particular object oriented software systems. This book has exceeded my expectations.

This book is nearly 600 pages thick, but the contents is densely packed with useful information. It is a comprehensive book that not only explains UML in depth and with clarity, it also explains in detail how these diagrams can be used effectively in the development and design of software systems. Most importantly it tells you how to make UML useful, meaningful, and understandable.

The book is well structured. I am reading this book cover to cover, and each chapter is logical and well thought out. It leads you through the Unified Process from requirements gathering to implementation and deployment - and tells you what aspect of UML should be applied through each of these stages. It also provides you with summary tips and notes in the side margins to help highlight important points and ideas.

The main focus and topic of this book however is fleshing out the problem domain - finding key candidate classes, operations, relationships etc. As well as how to use the information and elaborating it for the design of the final system i.e. refining the diagrams to include greater detail for implementation, incorporating design issues, outsourcing etc.

This book is mainly for those who want a better understanding of how to use UML to design software systems (in a visual manner - diagrams). Or those who look at UML diagrams with confusion and want a better understanding about what they mean - and ultimately how to construct your own.

A word of warning, this book does take a while to get through. Set yourself at least a week or two for a thorough reading. But I assure you, the time will be well invested.

In the end I am glad I bought this book. If there is one regret I have about this book, it is that I wish I had discovered it sooner!
on 20 February 2014
I have read a few UML books in the past and found myself occasionally struggling with some of the many model types and syntax when trying to model with UML, however this book shows how the whole thing fits together. A recommended read.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2014
I was very impressed with the quality of this book. It was worth the price, better than buying the same book at a higher price just to get a new copy. This looked like a new book.
on 22 February 2015
Looked like new. Faultless
on 13 November 2015
good book
on 14 February 2013
I couldnt even finish the book properly as the contents were explained in a poor way and it just seems so boring and dull that I just gave up!