on 28 February 2005
I ordered this book as soon as I'd read the sample chapters at [...] - I finally understood about the Windows API and wanted more!
It's totally different to any other Excel/VBA book available, so comparisons are hard. It doesn't have chapters about the Range or Worksheet objects - the authors seem to expect us to know that already - but instead has topics like choosing architectures, development best practices, optimising performance and rock-solid error handling.
It's a big book so it's hard to pick any bits out
for special mention. Every chapter seems to contain something I'd never seen before, with even the most complex topics (such as custom interfaces, creating XLLs and using XML and web services) explained in a way that made them all easy to understand.
The best bits for me though have to be the practical examples that end most of the chapters. By seeing how the concepts have been applied to their sample application, I can readily see how to apply them to mine, and have already begun to do so.
This is a serious book, not for beginners, and to me it seems to be in a different league to the rest.
on 17 March 2005
Knowing a little of the reputation of the authors I expected this book to include the depth of content as advertised. It does, exceeding my expectations. What I am particularly impressed with is how well it is written. Taking the dry edges off a strictly technical manual makes such a difference to even wanting to get to grips with what may be new and complex topics.
Even where a particular topic is familiar to the reader it is bound to include some new tips, any one of which could repay an investment in the book.
It's not for beginners but a must have for anyone who uses Excel extensively. If that's you, and you are wondering if you need it, my best advice is stop thinking about it and get it!
on 28 July 2005
Well this is the book us self-taught developers have been waiting for; for those puzzled as to what makes an intermediate, advanced or guru-like developer, right off the bat you are told in no uncertain terms how good you are, or how much more there is to learn.
If you arrogantly thought you knew it all in terms of excel's front-end functionality, charting capability, and presentational tools, then this book will bring you back down to earth.
If you are looking for an all-in-one book on the intricacies of API programming, xll, xml and web serivces, a refresher on ADO and SQL, this is it
If you aren't in an environment that fosters best development practice, but craved that discpline to produce effective and efficient code, short of working for Microsoft, this is the book for you.
look no further; this is the book to quench that thirst/hunger you have about Microsoft Excel's immense capabilities, and inject some fun into learning process.
on 15 March 2005
I have developed quite a few automated Excel applications over a number of years but mostly on my own. To do this, I'd picked up quite a lot of bits and pieces knowledge on the whole Excel VBA subject from various books and newsgroups. However, I'd not had the coaching to do complete development projects from design to distribution.
This book has proved to be the perfect manual for someone like me, who just didn't quite have the professional knowledge of how to build a well-designed, robust application from start to finish. After reading just the first few chapters, I'm already much more advanced in understanding the thinking behind the design, why to take which approaches and why not to take other approaches. It really is similar to having an expert sitting beside me and leading me through the steps. Many thanks to the authors for filling this hole in the knowledge market.
on 26 May 2007
I have been writing Excel macros for sometime and when people wanted me to write macros for them I found this book invaluable. Before reading this my `applications' where merely taking the standard Excel interface and using the Active X functions it provides to maniple data as required. Now my applications have very specific interfaces and functions, most people who have seen them have said things like `I did not know Excel could do that'. If you are new to programming, Excel or Macro writing then this book is not for you (yet), the book is written assuming that the user knows a bit more then the basics. This book is all about creating an application, I.E using the readers existing knowledge to create that application. That said there is considerable coding included with practical examples showing how to implement the functions presented. Nearly everything is included in the accompanying CD and that is my only bug with this book, not all the code fragments are included with the result that some of the functions must be entered by the reader.
on 6 February 2007
After identifying a requirement at work to automate a number of tasks with Excel I decided to buy Professional Excel Development. I couldn't have made a better choice! This is not a 'hold your hand' book by any means, but the information contained within is priceless.

The rate at which I learned useful techniques and became aware of "i'd never have found that out myself" gotchas was so rapid I found myself re-reading sections tying to spot the catch. There was none. It really is that easy to learn from this book.

We do not have an official Excel developer employed at my place of work. I have already saved a good deal of man-hours through educating people on the use of Excel. There's scope for much more, now that I'm armed with this book. My pay-rise will be exceptionally healthy!
on 22 February 2005
Before I received this book I had a somewhat arrogant attitude towards my Excel capabilities. Most other Excel books that I've bought just added to that attitude - usually a quick flick through identified very little new material. That's where I feel this books stands out. I now realise that actually I have quite a lot still to learn (shh - don't tell my boss!). I haven't yet had a chance to read through the entire book - it is pretty big - but I can envisage quite a few nights spent pouring over the parts that particularly appeal to me (no doubt to my husband's frustration), as well as my keeping it handy to refer to on a regular basis. In summary - an excellent buy for all but novice programmers.
on 3 August 2006
If you want to use excel as a development platform to produce a sophisticated windows program with no sign that excel is powering it this is the book for you. The table based menus code alone allowed me to have sophisticated dropdowns, toolbars, right click menus after 1 days work.

You will learn to write code that makes it easier to have a sophisticated program than a clunky one.

Highly recommended to anyone with a reasonable working knowledge of VBA, or any general programming knowledge and some determination. My knowledge is growing exponentially.
on 22 March 2005
This book is a must have for anybody who is or aspires to be a serious Excel developer.
For me the techniques and methods put forward by this book go from enlightening & new to reassuringly familiar.
The authors' writing style and use of an example project makes reading and comprehending the advanced subject matter straightforward.
One word of caution though, reading this book will change the way you work!
I heartily recommend this book.
on 17 February 2008
I have been building Excel models and using VBA for almost 10 years, and this is by far the best book that I have read about how to build robust VBA applications. Other books deal mainly with technical aspects of VBA, but this book also shows how to structure applications and how to put into practice the more advanced features of Excel and VBA.