Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 10 October 2014
I have bought several of Martin Fowler's other books as well. I find him a very good writer. however this book was my worst buy. Perhaps since at this stage of buying, I wasn't aware that this book is already 12 years old now. I would rather look somewhere else for similar books.
on 2 January 2011
This book belongs to the pre-history of enterprise architecture. The vast majority of the patterns described in the book are now a mere representation of what frameworks such as Hibernate and Spring give to the Java community. I was quite taken aback that from the first time I read/heard something from Mr Fowler from which I couldn't get anything new. The back-end patterns define concepts already implemented by frameworks such as Hibernate/Spring/JDBC, such as the RecordSet, Table and Record Data Gateway. Others define patterns for technologies which now belong to the pre-history of Enterprise Software Engineering, such as Stored Procedures (who wants to work with Stored Procedures nowadays?). Presentation layers just define what JSP/Servlet technology on one hand, and Spring on the other have already abundantly implemented. Even if you were to implement your own ORM or MVC framework (and you were working in Java) you would be a fool if you didn't look at the current Hibernate/Spring implementations which already implement best-in-class enterprise patterns (and that's why they are the leading technologies in this space).

Application servers have really never taken-off, so the few patterns described in this book which you could eventually apply were you to write your own Application Server (good luck!) would not be of much use.

I also didn't like the approach of describing the patterns generally in the first part and have the thorough description in the second. One didn't know if to keep reading while reference to the second part were given or if to stop at each reference, go and check the pattern and come back where left, maybe with the risk of losing the track.

In substance this book is now obsolete, didn't add anything new to my knowledge and I felt it was also badly organised. Don't waste your money.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse