on 5 March 2003
I'm half way through this book now and it is probably one on the
best set out books I have read to date
I have never done any cold fusion coding before but this book
has brought me up to speed very quick.
The topics are all clearly layed out and explained in resonable detail.

If your a beginner to web development or you are an existing web
developer looking to get in to cold fusion quick then this is
for you.
on 24 December 2002
Ben Forta's books have long been regarded as 'must haves' for any Coldfusion developer, and this book is no exception. Having already purchased previous editions of this book (for Coldfusion 4 & 5) the only thing that disappointed me was that although this book clearly covers all the MX features, around 3/4 of the books content is merely recycled from the previous edition.
Whilst I wouldn't be without this book, I feel better value would be obtained if Ben presented us with a different project - but here we are once again faced with developing applications for Orange Whip Studios. What's more, these applications are very much the same as the applications we created for OWS in previous editions.
As I stated in my review of 'Reality Coldfusion - Intranets and Content Management', I feel developers could learn much more if we combined both books together.
As a reference tool, this book is invaluable and I would highly recommend it to any developer. So much recycled content however prevents it from being awarded 5 stars.
on 12 June 2005
I already owned basic Coldfusion MX books, but bought this book to get more comprehensive coverage of Coldfusion MX topics.
Although a very weighty volume, it unfortunately falls short on giving practical examples of using Coldfusion code. It often lists Coldfusion elements, but makes litle attempt to suggest how these would be used in a real world environment. This really limits the usefulness of this book, as a practical reference manual for new Coldfusion developers.
The Coldfusion MX Bible is a far better reference manual in my opinion. The concepts are explained in a far more down to earth styles, with many practical examples to reinforce Coldfusion coding techniques. The Coldfusion Web Application Construction Kit falls short in too many areas, to warrant a higher review rating, than two stars. There are many better Codfusion books about.
on 13 December 2003
Having never used ColdFusion or SQL I found that this book (in conjunction with Robert Vieira's Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming) got me up to speed within 3 weeks. The examples are clear and easily understood and build up your knowledge gradually as you progress through the book.