on 12 September 2016
With the ubiquitous smartphone playing a bigger part in our lives, or the choice of Garmin like electronic handsets, I'm still a big fan of the OS map. Ultimately you then don't need to worry about signal or battery life and I like to be able to scan over the wider area to see other things of interest or even to help get your bearing. Even just on an everyday walk the OS map is great at just showing you things you may have missed.

It's well known you can't beat OS maps for quality and there's little I can add to this element, except to say that this map meets the high expectations. The level of detail is astounding and the print quality and colours make it extremely easy to use.

I'm also a big fan of the Active versions which are waterproof. I dislike the need for waterproof wallets for a map which makes it bulky to carry and often means that to cover a complete route you have to either fold the map awkwardly or open the map to adjust it on the walk (risking getting it wet). The Active version is waterproofed by a "laminated" cover making it easy to use and keeps the clarity of the print quality. This then slots easily into the pocket of your waterproof or walking trousers and you don't have to worry what the weather throws at you on your walk. Well worth the extra few £s.
on 16 February 2016
A must have for every walker in the Lakes and excellent to pore over in the pub after your walk. I am a big fan os OS maps and even have some of my own vicinity in Cheshire. We organise walks and long time residents always say " I didn't know you could walk over this way!" or similar. QED
on 13 September 2014
It does what it should very well. Maps inform you about what it is that you can see and, with a compass and a level head, help you find the way if you get caught out. Maps guide you through the landscape safely if you use them well. Never walk through the countryside using paths you don't know without one. Many a time there is no signal out there in those hills......
on 16 September 2015
If you are a walker you will change from O/S Landranger to Explorer, so save money and get them from the outset. Alternatively you might want to look at the annual subscription to O/S online maps for your phone/PC/tablet though. (Get 'online' at a great price with Tesco clubcard points.)
on 26 November 2014
Was good until it blew away down the mountain during a blizzard. I'm guessing the map survived but i got lost lol.
Recommend view ranger sat nav now.
If you like map reading though get these. Bit pricey but do the job.
Just secure them before you start walking in blizzards.
on 12 December 2013
excellent, and survived a lot of rain in the hills!
if you will be out for a week or so i'd recomend you "upgrade" to the maps which have a plastic/wax coating and are much tougher.
after folding these around and stuffing them in rucksacks for three days these are a bit battered.
but otherwise they are perfect! you get what you pay for
on 24 January 2018
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 October 2010
Superb, I got this waterproof type for a change, now when it rains as it invariably does in the Lakes I can take out and use it without having to end up with a soggy mess!!!, I can certainly recommend this item. My walking colleagues always ask if I have brought the w/proof map with me. Wish I had bought the Lakes set sooner!.
on 31 July 2017
Delivered on time as specified. Delighted with product
on 2 March 2017
Arrived on time and frankly the condition of the map was even better than described. Very happy with my purchase.