Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 1998
I can easily remember the dozens of times I took this book out from the library when I was a kid. I would draw for hours. There wasn't anything that this book didn't tell you how to draw. Cars, boats, houses, people, bridges, and hundreds of other objects. And the best part about the book is how easy everything is. Any kid who has the ability to draw lines, curves and circles can draw everything in this book. From chairs and desks to fancy boats with many sails, from bicycles and tricycles to tractors and tractor trailers, this book had it all. I would recommend this book to people of all ages. It is guaranteed to keep any young artist occupied for hours on end. The best book of its kind.
on 1 November 2012
I was given this as a birthday present when I was five years old with the inscription "I wish I'd had this when I was your age". I've now given it to a number of five and six year olds, all of whom have enjoyed it (though sometimes not as much as their parents!)

It's packed with a wide range of drawings, from cars and buildings to animals and superheroes, each of which can be created from simple geometric shapes. Ed Emberley also includes lots of variations, encouraging children to experiment once they've got the hang of the basic shape. You probably wouldn't want to draw in this way forever, but it's a great starting point for any budding young artist.
on 28 July 1999
I am 13 years old and a pretty decent drawer, and I must say that when I first started drawing from this book I couldn't believe how well Ed Emberley illustrated it. I think that people of all ages can improve their drawing if they take a look at Ed Emberley's fantastic illustrations in this book. With wonderful colors and marvelous illustrations, I would recommend it to anyone.
on 4 May 1999
I have given this book away more times than I can count. Sometimes as an intentional gift, other times I share it with a child in a waiting room or on an airplane, and they're so taken with it I have to let them keep it! It's a fun system that lets anyone draw charming little scenes with immediate success. Great introduction before moving on to more advanced books by others such as Lee Ames, Mark Kistler and Betty Edwards. But, the truth is, I love this book, too, and have fun with it all the time.
on 24 April 2014
I stumbled upon Ed Emberley by accident and what a happy accident. These really are how to books, none of that draw a couple of eggs/join up the lines and it's magically an elephant.

Ed takes each item in his world apart and shows you stroke by simple stroke how to draw it. It is a simple and hugely addictive technique. Great for kids I should imagine but even better for adults like me who fancy some idiot proof doodling!
on 6 March 1998
All these pictures, I can't decide which ones to do. They are all so easy to draw. And I like it that way. This book made me into a great artist. Keith (age 6 1/2)
on 25 June 2012
Bought for my children aged 6 and 8 , both enjoy drawing and crafting and within minutes had produced their own drawings of boats cars etc,I too found myself willing away time doodling no end of things ,surprising myself at the pleasure in being able to produce something that was instantly recognisable ! Great to have something that really kept us happy talking and entertained without needing to be plugged in !
on 14 February 2014
It has a huge load of tiny pictures/shapes, and it shows how to start and finish a drawing, its for kids and beginners, kids who are already good at drawing may not find it useful as these are literally shapes, its quite useful for us parents too, as this book shows how to create/draw a shape in less than 10 seconds.

Would recommend the book.
on 18 January 2013
I bought this as and other books in the same series as I want to animate a children's story that I have written - I can't draw, but I had thought that drawing simple human faces and figures would be easy. I found that it was - however, with ththe "Faces" book I have already created a series of drawing of my main characters and as part of the story is set in a typical town this book is proving to be very useful.
on 15 December 2012
brilliant book my son who loves drawing will absolutely love this when he receives it from santa , got loads of pictures in that look easy to do , easy rules to follow .
I was worried that it would take a while to arrive from other reviews i read but it arrived in 2 weeks , earlier then the estimate date so very happy .