on 30 May 2012
If you are surrounded by people who keep telling you that you are spoiling your baby, that you are holding them too much, that it is healthy for them to exercise their lungs by crying and other such annoying or old fashioned advice then this is a good book for you, especially if you are a first time mum who wants to follow their instincts and believe that what a young baby wants is what they need. Gives the confidence and some scientific back up to throw in people's faces when you reach the point that you can no longer smile and say thank you for your opinion, then totally ignore it!!! Four stars purely because some of the facts and advice is just obvious!!
on 30 November 2010
I wished I had read this book before I gave birth to my first child. I would have taken a different approach to parenting. Perhaps more relaxed and less stressful.
on 8 January 2015
Easy to read and is a surprisingly common sense and non-judgemental approach to parenting. The best parenting book I've read.
on 18 January 2005
This book has a lot of sound advice. The approach is basically to show your babies a great deal of empathy in the early months and even in the first few years. The values proposed are well evidenced and simply feel right to raise well adjusted connected and understanding children. Thankfully this book doesn't have much padding either. I would definitely recommend it to new parents.
on 30 October 2015
Clear and very easy to read (picking up and putting down and carrying on from where you left off...very useful if you're busy with a young baby!) it's useful to be able to read various quotations from parents having followed the method. I was genuinely skeptical of the AP method before buying this book, but it makes a lot of sense and seems to have converted me.
on 11 January 2013
Quite a light read. A lot about the author and his family which can be nice but can go on a bit. I skipped some chapters as I bought it after I had my baby. Good for dads to read if they are not sure about attachment parenting and the benefits and how to and why to support mum.
on 19 October 2011
Loved this book! A lot of it is common sense but it is nice to know that my personal choice of parenting is backed up by proffesionals!I think that reading this book gives you the confidence to trust your instincts. I feel better for reading it.
on 28 February 2005
This book is wonderful - full of sensitive caring advice from people who not only are parents (of 8 no less!!), but also have medical training to boot. This is the way everyone would parent if it were not for the flood of manuals from the 'baby trainers' which have left many parents scared to follow their instincts and others thinking it's okay to force babies into unnatural routines.
When our daughter was born I knew crying it out, scheduled feeding and other such nonsense didn't feel right but was losing faith when I repeatedly got the "rod for your own back" comments. I didn't know about Attachment Parenting or the Sears. This book was recommended to me and I found it so refreshing. Finally some parenting advice that is baby-centred instead of parent-centred. It's nothing new but it really makes sense. This back to basics approach is the way babies are raised in so many parts of the world.
So if you think babies need to be nurtured through affection and not trained to be quiet, complient, convenient members of the family then this book is for you. In fact all books in the Sears Parenting Library should be required reading for all parents and parents to be. Buy them all!
on 18 June 2015
A great help when facing the child rearing ideals of the sixties your surroundings at some point will impose on you, your partner and your (first) child. Nevertheless, the ideals in this book cannot be taken too litterary if a mother is to avoid total burnout.
on 21 September 2011
Loved this book. My first babies, twins, were 5 months old when I read this. Before that I was lost and confused between advice from mother in law, to the baby whisperer and everything in-between. This book gave me the confidence to parent from the heart and really got me and my husband talking around what was best for the family and not just "what everyone else does" or "what you are supposed to do". I don't know where i would be without this book. I only wish I had read it sooner!