on 24 August 2017
Glittering, sharp, short stories which live in their dialogue, aided and abetted by brief descriptions of clothing and furniture - barely a word about what people look like, except to say that they are 'attractive' or perhaps 'sturdy'.

Contemporary creative studies tutors would - in theory - abhor this sort of 'telling', though the characterisation in conversation would win high plaudits.

It is remarkable - to me at least - how similar the sparkling, brittle writing style of Salinger (1919-2010) in these stories is to that of his much older, fellow American, Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940). Most of Salinger's stories in this late, excellent collection are concerned with rich and intelligent Americans - apparently the same world as that of Fitzgerald. However, Salinger is not focused on the love travails of 'bright young things', but instead is obsessed with adults encountering shockingly aware, truth-telling children (as in his too-famous Catcher in the Rye).

But - in stark contrast to the Lolita of Nabokov (1899-1977) - Salinger's children are precociously adult without any sense of sexuality. This is a strength and also a weakness.

Nevertheless, some of these beautifully exact stories - such as the opening 'A perfect day for bananafish' - must rank among the most concise and evocative short tales ever told.
on 23 August 2016
I tried to get this in Kindle but it is only in print. It is worth getting it. One story in particular stays with me and I can still see the little boy peering into the sea through the port hole in his parent's room. Great, distilled writing.
on 16 June 2017
masterful storytelling. Very moving too. Maybe the finest dialogue writer I have read.
on 2 November 2017
Wonderful book. A must read if you are into short stories!
on 28 January 2014
When I first red A Perfect Day for Bananafish, it blew my mind. This was the closest any writer had come to
life to my knowledge. It was again confirmed when I got to For Esmé-with Love and Squalor, and finally with
the short story called Teddy. There are quite a few people I would recommend to read J. D. Salinger. Anyone
seriously considering to become a modern writer.
on 18 July 2017
Terrific stories.
on 8 July 2015
I think Wild Tales was based on this concept, short stories ideal for short train journeys. Book in fair nick, prompt delivery.
on 3 October 2011
After being captivated by The Catcher In The Rye I wanted to read more of Salinger's books. I purchased this and once again found myself under Salinger's spell.

Every story is thought provoking and intricate. On the surface they seem fairly straight forward but dig a little deeper and you will find a world of themes, connections and metaphors. I read a story a night and would often find myself unable to sleep becauuse I couldnt stop thinking about what I'd just read. This book kept me up. But in a good way.
on 25 October 2015
Arrived in good condition - oh! what is there not to like about the way J.D. Salinger draws you into his stories - totally absorbing - interesting characters
on 30 August 2015
Great author, great book.