on 15 January 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, read it from cover to cover in one sitting on a coach journey between London and Gloucester. It has a quiet charm and is very easy reading. I was a little disappointed with this book after reading the 'Five People you meet in Heaven'. It did not seem to create the same emotional resonance within me but I was glad to see this does not seem true of other reviewers.

If you enjoy a catharctic read, love your mother dearly and are looking for the literary equivalent of a massage and a facial then this might just be the book for you....enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2007
Mitch Albom has this knack for writing short books that say so very much.

In 'For one more day' the story revolves around 'Chick' and his relationship with his mother.
Upon coming to the conclusion he has reached rock bottom in life he decides to commit suicide which results in him being united with his dead mother 'for one more day'. It is a very emotional reunion as it causes Chick to think about all the times he'd let her down and picked to stand up for (and please) the father who was never there over the mother who never let him down. He also finds out things about her that he never knew before, the sacrifices she made for him and the reason his parents got divorced....

A lovely book that made me think about all the ways I've let my mom down and taken for granted that she'll always be here. I imagine it will provoke that feeling in a lot of you. This is a great book and I will be recommending it to just about everyone I know!
on 6 November 2006
The book captured me from the very first page! I was instantly hooked and could not put the book down. It was an amazing read and a joy to realise how many of us are stuck between our parents. I cant wait to read more from Mitch Albom.
on 14 April 2015
Another outstanding novel by Mitch Albom. I was blown away by 'The Five People you Meet in Heaven' and I was, again, impressed by Albom's quality of writing. His skills as a storyteller match those of Khaled Houssini; Albom has a knack of drawing you in from the first page.

I like the idea that the people we lose are not gone forever; this story manages to represent that idea without cliche and without being depressing either. The novel is uplifting and thought provoking and it left me speechless at the end. I recommend this book to anyone. A definite 5 star read!!
on 17 January 2015
This is a remarkable book and one that I seriously recommend to anyone who has a strained relationship with themselves or another close person. It made me take a long look at myself and my relationship with those I love.
on 28 December 2008
For One More Day is the story of a man who gets the chance to spend one more day with his mother, who died 8 years earlier.

I was really undecided about how to rate this book. On the one hand it was a quick, easy read. I finished it in more or less one sitting, so it must have been a page turner.

On the other hand I knew exactly what was going to happen from the beginning, and the book felt more like one long lecture on appreciating your mother, than a novel. It was just too sentimental, with no depth or real plot.

Everyone else seems to love this book, so I won't tell you not to give it a go. It's short enough for you to give it a try and make up your own mind. I won't be rushing out to read any of his other books though.
on 9 April 2008
This book definately is one of my favourites. The plot itself was not very complex or witty but it was such a wonderful story that left you with a very good feeling. The story, more than anything is about a mother's love and how despite all the awful things that occur within the main character's life he finds he can rely on that. The story is also about the main character trying to remenber things that may have occured in his past that could be the reason for things that are happening in his life. We see him learn more and more about himself and at the end of the novel we are left feeling very hopeful.
I would most definately say that this novel is worth reading and if this book isn't on your bookshelf, make sure it soon is!
on 22 January 2016
I found this book after losing my mother. I thought it might be too much, too soon and would upset me but it didn't. It was very moving without sentimentality but I found comfort in it. Beautiful writing.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2009
Charles (Chick) Benetto is an alcoholic who feels he's reached rock bottom when he discovers his daughter got married and didn't invite him. Drunk...he drives back to his childhood home...and gets chance to spend a final day with his dead mother!

Whilst I enjoyed the authors previous titles; 'Five People You Meet In Heaven' and 'Tuesdays With Morrie' ...I personally liked this book more. Albom's character observations encourage the reader to consider their own internal state as well as looking at the relationship they have with their own parents...or children.
on 10 May 2015
This is the best book I have ever read because it resonated so much and not for obvious reasons. The writer is simply superb because he captures feelings so well with words. It's a short novel and therefore very quick to read - in fact you could probably read this in one day!