Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 July 2017
The Beatles - All These Years: Volume One: Tune In
I just can't leave this book down; as an avid Beatles fan, this is simply the 'best biography' I've read. It is a very detailed and easy read and I highly recommend it. The book arrived promptly and in first class condition. A very satisfied customer.
Thousands of books have been written about the Beatles - so do we really need another one.

In the case of Mark Lewisohn the answer is yes yes yes because this is the definitive history of the band. Volume one of a proposed three volume work - it only takes us through to the early sixties but to me the evocation of the lives of four Liverpool Lads who would change the music world is the most important part of their legacy.

Havinf been on the Magical Mystery coach tour of Liverpool on three occasions and been inside the boyhood homes of Lennon and McCartney, this book helps to put everything together.

Brilliantly researched and written, it will never be matched.
on 28 November 2013
Great book which held my attention. Learnt much more about the music business as it was and possibly still is and it was a revelation to finally read what everyone knew about Pete Best's drumming. He can have no complaint that he was pushed out except maybe in the way it was done. Also to read that George Martin was originally forced to take the Beatles exploded the previous books versions of events by Davies and Norman.

Can't wait for the next volume-hurry up as I won't be around for ever!
on 18 March 2014
Of all the books I have ever read this is the only one that I can't understand how anyone can rate other than 5 stars. Anyone buying it in the first place must be a Beatles fan, hence must be pre-disposed to at least be interested in the subject matter. And, make no mistake, this is the mother all all Beatles biographies (goodness knows the detail into which the extended edition goes!) I have read several biographies of the band's whole career that aren't this length and this covers only the first third of their story. Must be regarded as the definitive account.
on 21 November 2013
This is clearly a major work of real scholarship. It is a compelling read as the author is skilful in imparting an unprecedented amount of information without losing his entertaining light touch. As an exercise in reconstructing the recent past it is exceptional. I quibble with only one assertion: on page 672 of the 'standard version' he states that, 'There were no groups like the Beatles. Three guitars and drums, all three front-line guitarists singing lead and harmonies, a group that wrote their own songs -it was simple, direct and not done'.While one can't argue with his description of The Shadows as a predominantly 'instrumental quartet' they had also done all of the things he attributes to the Beatles in this comment.
on 27 March 2015
I still have not finished this first installment - and it's also the "light" version of the chronicles, mind you. And I have not checked the footnotes yet, either. But I can safely say that this is the most impressive thing I have read about the band or any of its members since Ian MacDonald's book, and that is a great compliment. I have learnt a lot about the first records the boys got, the schools they went to - and quite often not! :-) - the people they hung out with, and their respective family backgrounds in detail. This has been quite revealing. It is nice of Mr Lewisohn to acknowledge when he does not know, and that happens quite often. Not everything was written down, and plenty of the people he may have wanted to interview are sadly no longer among us, and not everyone took notes on the goings and doings of the lads and their closest friends and family. We all know how meticulous Mr. Lewisohn has been with his previous books, and which we all have and love. :-) He has topped it here, for sure. I look forward to a short break after having read this, and by then there will be a second volume ready!
on 28 December 2013
If you want to know the true history of the Beatles told in an easy to read style then buy this book. The author clearly knows his subject extremely well and truly has access to the sources that count. If you love the Beatles...you will love this!
on 17 November 2013
A very enjoyable book which has been thoroughly researched and which gives a deeper insight into the early days of the band and its beginnings of the fame which it still enjoys today. I look forward the the 2 volumes to follow.
on 15 December 2013
I have read many beatles biographies but this is probably the best researched and most detailed I have come accross. Absolutely all you need to know about the early years of the Beatles and some I even remember like their TV appearance on Scene at 6.30.

I would recomend this to anyone who likes comprehensive information
on 11 December 2013
Bought deluxe version and can say how pleased I am with this, first few pages very descriptive indeed and really looking forward to reading this new account, much easier to hold than the standard version which going as xmas present