on 30 November 2002
I have just devoured Sandi Toksvig's latest comic literary creation "The Travels of Lady "Bulldog" Burton' in collaboration with the illustrator Sandy Nightingale, and fully intend to read it all over again.
I am always greatly amused and impressed by Sandi's wit, there's something so charming and comforting about her sense of humour, and the combination of her writing and Sandy's (the other Sandy) illustrations is an absolute delight.
An hilarious travel diary and introduction to Lady "Bulldog" Burton or "Bully" and her travelling companion and maid "Jinks" in their adventures across Europe in the 1880s.
The authenticity of Lady Burton's voice quells any ring of skepticism that I brought while reading these journals and I find that in any case, whether she really existed or is purely summoned by Sandi's (the first one) fertile imagination does not matter.
I want to believe in this travelling patriot'ette and the historic anecdotes of the people and places of her European tour.
Quite simply brilliantly written and illustrated with such a supportive charm, I pray that there will be further memoirs of the 'Bulldog' and her ancient perspective and observations.
This book will tickle any 'Sandi-fan', and I would love to see (hear) it on Radio 4, narrated by Sandi in her own voice as well as what I can imagine her rendition of Bully's likely tones might be.
Superb, get hold of a copy and hold on to it, and if you can bear to give it away, it would make a great present.
on 22 November 2013
This is another brilliant book by Sandi Toksvig,I've yet to read it completely but what I have it looks fun!!!!The quality of the binding/cover of the book is lovely.I am constantly recommending Sandi's books,as her writing is excellent,and shall certainly be recommending this.
on 2 July 2003
I love to hear Sandi Toksvig as she's so witty and I laughed until tears ran down my face whilst listening to the audiobook (read by herself) of 'Flying Under Bridges', but I just couldn't get into this book. There were a few places within 'Lady Bulldog Burton' that made me laugh, but they were very few and far between. I have put this down partly to the fact that I'm not particularly interested in geography in any shape or form, so I'll not let Sandi take all the blame! The illustrations, however, were superb! I intend to read 'Whistling With Elephants' soon and hope that I can get more involved this time.
on 11 December 2002
Sandy Nightingale, and fully intend to read it all over again.
An hilarious travel diary and introduction to Lady "Bulldog" Burton or
I want to believe in this travelling patriot'ette and the historic anecdotes
of the people and places of her European tour.
Quite simply brilliantly written and illustrated with such a supportive
charm, I pray that there will be further memoirs of the 'Bulldog' and her
ancient perspective and observations.
This book will tickle any 'Sandi-fan', and I would love to see (hear) it on
on 23 September 2012
Absolutely brilliantly enjoyable! Such a wonderful woman who clearly had an amazing adventure. The period views are amusing and Lady B's outlook on the world is beautifully captured by Sandi T and even more beautifully portrayed by illustrator Sandy N. Jinks, Lady B's lady maid, is the unsung hero of the travels and you have to think that she must have had some strength of character to put up with the titan that is Lady B for the length of time she did. The book is divided into perfectly sized nuggets that allows you to deep in and out as freely as you wish, but don't expect a fictious novel. This is a story of a real life from a real characters point of view. Look out for the adventure in the opium den and (my personal favourite) the incident involving a skirt, a calf muscle, and a gentlemans hot breath. Terrific. Absolutely terrific!
on 13 February 2014
This book didn't actually arrive when I ordered it through Amazon, so I had to buy it elsewhere. And, boy, was I disappointed! I like Sandi Toksvig and think that the radio quiz she presents - 'The News Quiz' - is hilarious. So I expected some wry, observant humour from this book. What did I find? Not a laugh in sight - not one.

The sad thing is, this book reads as if, when writing it, Sandi thought she was being hilariously funny. But none of the jokes are up to her usual standard and what was a cracking idea and could have been a good laugh, falls flat and unfunny. This is possibly one of the unfunniest books I have ever read in my life.

If you are expecting Sandi's usual sparkle, you won't find it here.
on 21 February 2017
I was looking forward another funny Sandy Toksvig book, but this wasn't it, unfortunately. I can't rave about it, neither did I hate it, because it's a nothing sort of read. It smacks of trying just a little bit too hard to be funny and ends up being tedious, arch and twee. I would recommend real life travel accounts by doughty characters of the era, unintentionally amusing but impressive. This is the sort of book to keep in the loo, read a few pages now and again, and instantly forget the moment you leave the room. Far too many illustrations, clever though they are.
on 4 June 2011
Sandy Totsvig has written some really enjoyable books, but I found this one not to be as good as others! If you are looking for a good read, try some of her others, such as "Melted into Air" , or "Flying under bridges". All her book sare easy reading and not too onerous, good for a holiday read!
on 28 January 2014
Much enjoyed this little book although I expect having some knowledge of the era in which it is set helps. Best beloved was in tears of laughter at one stage but it seems that Sandy tended to run out of laugh out loud ideas as she progressed with the writing; but still enjoyable.
on 7 February 2013
Ladt Bulldog Burton was 'discovered' by Sandi Toksvig some years ago, and her fans are eagerly awaiting more releases from the private papers of this eminent, umbrella-wielding Victorian adventuress...!