on 31 March 2017
Not much new from what is revealed in the series. Fairly standard tie in with nothing extra to add.
on 18 August 2017
Awesome book just as good as the tv series
on 4 July 2017
so much more detailed than the tv series and explains in better detail what is going on......a must buy......excellent read. Ive just started the sequel and thats as rivetting.
on 20 May 2017
Thanks
on 4 October 2014
I got lost in the adventure... loved the tv series and the book...
on 8 July 2017
Such a long way round!
on 3 December 2004
As a biker I can safely say this book describes a bikers dream come true. To ride around the world with a very healthy budget and all the toys that come with money/sponsorship. The book really gets over the difficulties endured and how much both Charly & Ewan missed their family. Some of it will make you laugh out loud or bring a lump to your throat. They are both keen motorcyclists who are human beings, not just movie stars. Written in the first person the book brings you close to both of them, letting you know what they were thinking, a lot more so than the television program lets on. I read it cover to cover in 5 days.
on 6 August 2007
A friend introduced "The Long Way Round" to me, saying they loved it and thought I would too. I hadn't heard of it at the time, but then uni often involves being lost in the student based world with little outside current world knowledge. I watched a trailer on YouTube to see what it was like and was instantly caught by the idea, ... two friends on an adventure around the world. Im not a fan of motorcycles, but visiting countries you only imagine you would talk about and never visit, meeting people from different cultures and seeing amazing sights, its something few people would say no to if they had the money and time, right?! I watched one episode and was hooked, and reading a review on here saying the book gave a better insight into the personal thoughts and more detail of the feelings of the two actors, I decided to buy it first (after all, in most cases the book is better!). So I bought it today and am already half way through. I was originally a bit disappointed with the focus on the bikes at the start, but then it is their true passion. However, as I read on, you really do start to feel what they went through, and it's gripping! It is not meerly a day-by-day recital of thier trip, but a window to the emotions and experiences felt by them both. And like people have said before...it's not about the bikes, its about the adventure, experiencing the world with a true friend at your side!! I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the series!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 April 2015
The literacy companion to the television series of the same name, 'Long Way Round' documents the 20,000 miles that friends, actors and motorbike enthusiasts Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman travelled across the globe during a four month period.

Presented in a 'speaking' style rather than 'written', the book is the tale of two friends who carried out a dream, and an insight into all of the huge emotion and waves of depression that these men experienced and describe throughout their travels, especially their homecoming. This isn't 'one long moan' though, as these reflections of stress are often followed up with some good humour. Although their love for bikes comes over so very loud and clear, 'Long Way Round' is really mostly about the places that they visited, the moments they had together, the sights they were able to see, and all of the interesting people of different cultures that they met along the way.

I'm glad that the time was taken by Ewan and Charley to document this remarkable adventure in a book. It made for a very entertaining read which is perfect for the Summer. I recommend you watch the series, but if you haven't done so already, don't worry, you'll still enjoy the book, which is illustrated with four sections of colour photographs. Congratulations guys!
on 15 December 2006
What an awesome book, recording an awesome experience. As a biker myself, I was attracted to the book just to read about a trip that is beyond my means and abilities, but the book ended up meaning much more than that to me. It showed me, yet again, that wherever you go in the world (And I've travelled a fair bit of it myself in my work as a seafarer !) people everywhere are just people like you and I, when you get past the religious, political and economic differences that can so often divide us. It also highlights the fact that people who make a living in the film industry are not necessarily unapproachable, self centred and addicted to adulation. They can be warm, human and prone to the same joys, fears and desires as the rest of us. In short, they are human beings who just happen to have a good job. This is not just a good read about a motor bike trip of a lifetime, it is a book that rekindles hope that the world, and its varied people, is a beautiful place after all, and not half as dangerous as some would have us believe. Whether you're a biker, an armchair traveller or just someone looking for an exciting and inspiring read, then this book is for you. I can't praise it highly enough.