Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 July 2017
Wow. It's not often I can read a book so avidly. The phrase 'page turner' is greatly overused but this book deserves the accolade. A fantastic story that is well crafted.
on 16 January 2006
Not really into reviews but felt that this deserved a quick heads up. I read derailed after the blurb on the back and thought ok this might be trash but could be that good read I need right now. It was better: a writing style that is never superfluous, writhing plot lines and subplots, genuine surprise moments. This guy writes those kind of tales that have you reading 100+ pages with out you even realising. Then I tried this on the back of that and it is just as good if not better.
on 6 March 2016
Childless Paula and Joanna want to adopt a baby and settle on Columbia. After getting kidnapped Paul is forced to be come a drug mule in order to save the lives of his wife and potential daughter. Paul and Joanna's stories dovetail throughout the book which is quite a rollercoaster read with lots of twists and turns. A "Two years later" wrapping up the loose ends epilogue was a bit irritating-I'm not a fan of those. The only other irksome bit was that unless you are a consultant paediatrician and the only thing that will save the life of your baby is aspirin then fine but otherwise you NEVER,EVER give babies and children aspirin! These things are easy enough to check and grate somewhat especially as the author has clearly taken time to research other things. Other than that I think it's a good read and I'd recommend it
on 22 May 2008
Never having read of James Siegel's work before, I gave it my usual first page test and it passed. If the first page grips me, it usually means that I'll enjoy the book and once again, this test didn't let me down.

Quite fast moving with a few twists and turns that I didn't see coming but in brief, it finds a New York childless couple Paul and Joanna, going to Columbia to get a baby girl. They've been told by a lawyer 'friend' Miles......that he can arrange the adoption very quickly for them.

What he doesn't mention is that there might be some problems.........

The Colombian driver, Pablo, is extremely helpful, picking them up from the airport, delivering them and their luggage to the hotel then taking them to collect the baby from Maria Consuello, (might have spelt that wrong, sorry), who says that she knew this baby was the one for them the moment she set eyes on them.

Love for their daughter at first sight for both parents, paperwork done and then back to the hotel as a family.

When Galina, a 'nurse', suddenly arrives to help them learn about how to cope with and adjust to a new baby, they think she's the best thing since sliced bread.... or is she?

A few days later, after Galina insisted that they should get out for some fresh air once the baby had settled for her afternoon nap, they return early not being able to bear being parted from their new daughter but Galina and Joelle are not there.....

They do return, with a story about the baby getting a sudden fever and needing a pharmacy.

The next day Joanna, notices that the baby doesn't have the birth mark on her leg that THEIR daughter Joelle, did and that she 'smells' different.

Pablo takes them to Galina's house so that Paul and Joanne can confront Galina about this not being their baby but they are then kidnapped, the husband given and ultimatum that he must smuggle cocaine into the US and when they hear that it's been delivered they will release Joanna and Joelle to go home safe and sound.

He's given 18 hours to make the trip back to New York, deliver the condoms full of cocaine to a certain address but it all goes pear shaped.

A series of things go wrong starting with his flight being delayed and all these things prevent his delivering the drugs because the address has been burnt down!

He seeks help from the only person he can think of...his lawyer 'friend' Miles but then they are almost killed.

During his time in the US, Joanna is going through her own personal hell and only being allowed limit supervised time with her daughter. She fears for their lives when she's told that her husband did not deliver the drugs.

Meanwhile Paul does not know which way is up before long and then we're introduced to a DEA agent.........

Really fast paced book that I finished in two sittings but only because I had to go out, otherwise it would've been one sitting. While I was out and away from the book, I was itching to get back to it to see what the outcome would be. I won't tell you whether it all ends happily ever after or a total disaster because you WILL want to read this book......

Can't wait to read more of this author's work.
on 17 June 2010
I read this book for the first time whilst on honeymoon five years ago. I borrowed it from a member of staff at the hotel and couldn't put it down until the end. It's about a couple wanting to adopt a Columbian child. The couple suspect that their child has been swapped for another and when they challenge the Nanny assigned to care for the baby, they are kidnapped. The adoptive father is forced to smuggle drugs to North America and if successful, their baby will be returned to them. Thought that this book was fantastic so much so, we didn't actually do much during our honeymoon and our daughter arrived 3 years later!!!
on 9 February 2006
Every bit as consuming as derailed. A first class page turner that grips you from page1. A MUST read.
on 11 August 2011
Initially I couldn't see where this story was going to go, but when I got into it I really enjoyed it. Read it!!!!
on 12 July 2014
Liked this book.
on 4 April 2006
Excellent book. It hooks you in from page one and keeps the momentum going until the end. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fast paced thrillers with a a heavy dose of paranoia.