on 26 November 2012
I've always been an Elvis fan and I have to say that this book gives a fair and honest account of his life. I am currently reading it for the second time and I find I am learning some facts I missed first time around. The book has taken me on a roller coaster of emotions, but at the end of the day you have to remember Elvis was just a man.
on 20 May 2002
A definate curiosity after the stunning "Last Train From Memphis." But Careless Love falls short, overly focusing on the down-side of Elvis career and missing out on far far too much to be considered definitive, let alone a classic.
And not that Elvis didn't have his problems, but it's all been done before, and surely there are far more personal and career highs to focus on and make greater reading.
There are many errors also, e.g. Solitaire is not by Neil Diamond, try Sedaka. Many omitted highs such as no in depth look at the march 74 tour, Astrodome shows, Christmas 76 or the events surrounding "In Concert."
on 3 August 2013
Quite simply the best autobiography of Elvis you will ever read, the attention to detail is forensic. If of course you only want to believe the myths..then don't read.... you media brain washed philistine!!
on 15 February 2014
I did have to wait for delivery but it was worth the delay. I had read the previous book and wanted to continue the story. Peter Gurainick is a genius, this is one of the best I have read.
on 17 January 2017
Well written enjoyable (or at least interesting) read.
Inevitably there is a lot of detail, not all of it fascinating, but you can always jump the thoughts of Tom Parker and the write up on yet another unsuccessful recording session.
I enjoyed it more than the first book, which had eve more uninteresting information per page given the much shorter period under analysis. Elvis' friends didn't help him too much, but he seems to have had such a self-destructive streak he would no doubt have killed himself sooner or later anyway.
Guralnick really doesn't like Ginger, does he.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 May 2013
I found this book a very interesting read. I think anybody interested in Elvis Presley would find this book very descriptive and well-detailed.
on 15 May 2013
Since visiting Graceland last November I have been avidly reading all I can about Elvis,I've read several books but these seem the best
on 6 December 2000
Simply brilliant. This book takes you through every aspect of Elvis Presley's highs and lows. The drug abuse, the marriage break-up and ultimately to the end of his life for one of the greatest performers of all time. People have often asked why didn't the Presley Mafia around him save him? The answer can only be because nobody could save him from himself.
on 22 July 2014
Even knowing the Elvis story.. I was unprepared for the heartbreak..'an extraordinary detailed and accomplished biography' ...
on 30 November 2012
Excellent. Details doesn't make this hard to read.
If I didn't have this I'd buy it again. Very very very good