on 23 April 2017
Not as captivating as the rest I found but got me after a while. Was able to leave this one alone and do chores instead of grabbing every second I can with these Alex Cross stories. Bring on the next one.
on 29 April 2017
excellent
on 28 May 2017
Great!
on 27 April 2017
Great Patterson book.
on 7 October 2007
James Paterson's narrative style has improved with this writting. We once again follow Alex Cross as he works on a homicide case. But this time, he is brought into the case by his best friend and partner John Sampson.

An old army budy of John's from Vietnam, a decorated veteran with a perfect record, is convicted of a brutal murder. And Alex can not accept this. He ask Alex to investigate this crime as a favor. As they delve into the murder, they find that there is more then one crime associated with the Army that have the same profile. The army does not cooperate with Cross, and we are left wondering if they are protecting their own, or hiding something.

There are a lot of distractions in this book, and some background. We learn why John feels like he was rasied by Alex's grandmother, Nana. The fact that John servered in Vietnam before going to the police academy. Both John and Alex have new budding relationships. And Nana is sick.

As usual, we know who the killers are toward the begining of the book. And we get to see things from the killers propsective as our hero, Alex Cross tries to catch them. Still, the book is a page turner and I read it in one day.
on 30 October 2005
I have read some James Patterson books before but have not read all of them. I also have not read one in a couple of years but this one caught my eye. I'm glad it did. I truly enjoyed it and was always excited when I got a chance in the day to read some more. You knew there was a twist in the story but I wasn't sure what it would be and I was surprised. I definitely recommend this book.
on 17 May 2017
Very good cndition.great book
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2007
I'd not read any of the "Alex Cross" books until this one. Reviewing books is a chancy thing. All I can give is my opinion. As with all art taste differs widely.

In my case this "Alex Cross" book was easy to put down and take a break from. That gives it a three. I think what I missed most was that "difficult to put down" sense. I think Alex's struggle between career and work was presented fairly. What I think was a bit overdone was the way his personal problems almost took over the criminal part of the story. James Truscott was weirdly placed in the book. If the author's intention was to make me wonder if he was the "Storyteller", he failed abysmally.

OK, that's the bad stuff. Now for the good (in my not so humble opinion). I did finish the book. That is always a good sign. I liked the "fights" between the FBI and the LAPD. That added a bit of tension to the book. I know I said that personal problems were a bit overdone. At the same time they made Alex more believable. I like people who are more than two-dimensional. Too many protagonists never achieve three-dimensionality. Alex didn't fall into that trap. The overall story was good and a fun read.

This is a book I recommend. While not a classic it is satisfactory.
on 4 November 2005
Unlike some, I never tire of James Patterson. Whilst I agree some of his novels are not at his usual exceptional high standard, Mary Mary certainly had me gripped. How can people say Alex Cross should be retired when he can star in a stunning story like this. His relationships seem to get more interesting to me, not the other way around. I had to get up at 5 one morning to finish this before I went to work, it is THAT good. I can't wait for the next instalment Mr Patterson............
on 21 February 2007
James Patterson is on the slippery slide downhill. I only bought this because it was an Alex Cross story. I had sworn after reading the co-authored books with Gross and Paetro that I would not buy any more but as this one was written solo I thought I'd give it a go.

Some of his old style and flair was evident for the first three-quarters of the novel and I was engrossed but then it seemed to go pear-shaped. The ending was a complete let-down.