on 8 March 2015
I have been trying to get back into sewing for a while having sewn and adapted garments a lot when I was young and had very little money for interesting clothes. As I now wear a lot of knits this seemed like a good option for starting to work with these types of fabric more... the starter patterns were also a great resource.

I like the ethos of this book, it is clearly laid out and the various options for construction with different types of machines are great, however there is a big caveat with the patterns. Like one of the other reviewers I attempted the Breton shirt, I cut a slightly larger size as the fabric I used has great drape but not as much stretch as a viscose / elastane jersey and I thought I could neaten up the sizing if required. The neckline came out waaaaaaaaay too wide, admittedly I did use the twin needle on my conventional machine and this stretched the neckline a bit - maybe this is why it is not referred to in the book. The shoulders are absolutely tiny 1" wide, which if you deduct the 1/4" inch seam allowance gives you a shoulder of 1/2" inch wide. I found tying to adjust the width of the neck nigh on impossible because you have so little fabric to work with. This is not accurately reflected in the technical diagrams (technical flats). The other comment I have is that on closer observation the patterns are very boxy, there is no shaping, and the shoulder line is narrow - this would suit certain figure types, maybe boyish with narrow shoulders, or tall and very slender, or apple shaped, but for my figure type: quite athletic mesomorph UK size 10 (RTW) with defined shoulders waist and hips it does not work and given the issues I had with the Breton top which was abandoned when I could not fix the neckline issue I'm not sure I would put the effort into trying to fix the fit issues with the basic block.
A good basic book but ultimately rather frustrating.
on 19 June 2015
This is a really nicely thought out book, with clear instructions and attractive illustrations. The projects are quite simple, but cleverly designed to allow you to take a number of basic pattern shapes and adjust them to create different styles. A real plus of the book is that it gives you an excellent overview of sewing with stretch fabric, explaining in great detail how and why certain things are done.
on 28 June 2009
Very good book for getting me over my fear of knits - which my sewing machine really doesn't like. My only quibble is that the patterns are quite basic but are good for learning the methods rather than necessarily making clothes I'd wear. Perhaps that's just my personal taste though rather than a real criticism.
on 12 January 2016
Very good book & easy to follow.
on 10 July 2013
Interesting but I felt it was a bit basic for me, and rather aimed at younger people. But that is my fault!!!! It did give a few hints that I was not aware of.
on 18 November 2013
I really like this book. It has easy projects but can look like ready to wear. Great if you are unsure sewing with jersey fabric.
on 28 December 2012
I bought this for my daughter's birthday. She says it's fantastic and she can't wait to get home and try out some of the things in it.
on 10 December 2014
Arrived on time, very helpful
on 30 April 2011
I'm feeling very pleased with myself as I've just completed my 3rd project in this book and have to say that it really is excellent. Having just a basic level of dressmaking experience I was pleased to find how clear the instructions were and how they enable you to apply the same pattern to a range of designs and a range of levels. This is perfect for anyone who wants to get beyond ready made patterns but isn't ready for creating their own block from scratch, ie. me!

Definitely worth the money.
on 25 August 2014