on 16 March 2014
Not my usual book of choice and I found it tough to read. Gritty in places and depressing and didn't have the uplift I was ever expecting. Found the writing at times jumpy and difficult to follow. Will read the Secret History by Donna Tartt as I have been assured it is totally different to this one. That all said I still wanted to finish it - hence the middle of the road 3 rating.
on 20 February 2014
I am still reading this book though several times I have nearly given up. The style is good but detail of each situation does become boring at times when one wants to get on and find out what happens. Theo and Hobie are well developed characters and contrast against each other.
First two chapters almost were too much, very gory and I made myself continue which was worth while.
on 25 February 2014
What a wonderful concept for a book! I read the first two thirds of the book avidly but, without wanting to spoil the plot or book for anyone, I found the last third of the book a trial to read, and the ending became just a spouting of 'philosophy'. Did Donna Tartt run out of steam, or couldn't she think of a better ending? I don't know, but I'm glad I read the first two thirds.
on 30 December 2014
I thought the first third of the book was wonderful but after that it seemed to deteriorate - just too much prose with no dialogue.
And then the infamous Boris who turned up like a bad penny to whisk our hero, who never resisted, away on some drink and drug fuelled escapade. Parts were good and parts were not. I would not re-read, which is my yardstick for a really good book.
on 17 May 2014
i wish i was clever enough to tell you how wonderful this book is! READ IT if you have not you are really lucky this i a special read save it for a trip or when you can just read and read .the moment i finished it i at once started it again the first 100 words became allmost a continuation because of the experence of reading the whole book , you have not read this i envy you.....
on 29 July 2014
A story on 3 levels, therefore accessible to all.
The life story of a young boy dealing with multiple tragedy and trauma, his inability to make sound decisions and subsequent poor influence by others, with adventure and intrigue right to the end.
An informative insight into addiction, art treasure and antiques.
The philosophical debate on life's values and purpose.
on 26 April 2014
An interesting book and I wanted to get to the end to see what happened but wow this is a very, very long book. Beautifully written and I loved some of the characters, but I did sigh with relief when I finally finished ploughing through it. Because it was on kindle I didn't realise at first how many pages there were but I saw a hard copy in a bookshop and could barely lift it!!
on 18 May 2014
I loved the beginning of the book but felt it went on a bit and could have been 150 pages shorter.
on 23 January 2014
Having read this author's previous two books and enjoyed them I was not disappointed with 'The Goldfinch'.
It was an interesting and unusual storyline and not at all predictable. Something different from the norm.
My only criticism is that it was overly long towards the end. Less is sometimes more!
However, I would thoroughly recommend it.
A jolly good read.
on 11 October 2014
This is a popular book used by reading clubs and more or less impossible to borrow from our local library who charge to reserve it and oblige you to return it after the mandatory 3 weeks. After a couple of 'reserve charge then return after 3 weeks' episodes it became clear that at this price it would be cheaper to buy it and pass it on to a friend/charity shop when it is read