on 23 February 2009
I ordered this book in pursuit of a slice of Americana - diner specials, Thanksgiving, milkshakes, etc - but what I got instead was a fairly detailed exploration of food from around the world which has been embraced by American chefs. This is great, but not entirely what I was hoping for - and the recipes and descriptions were professional and passionate, but lacked local colour and down-to-earth ancedotes. The book is in black and white, and does cover some honest-to-goodness classic 'American' recipes, but not enough to keep me happy. I think this is definitely one for an American audience (and more power to it), but for someone English hoping to capture the essence of American cuisine, this is not the place to come.
on 24 March 2004
my husband got this book for me for valentine's day. i'm american and living in london and i so miss the variety of dishes that sometimes you can't get here in the uk. this book is wonderful, with as many down-home style recipes as ethnic ones. i make at least 2 recipes out of it each week. some of them are definitely time consuming but if you love to cook and experiment with different flavours, this book is a must have! :)
on 13 April 2012
This cookbook by David Rosengarten is an epic journey into American cuisine. It is such a joy to discover all of the food that has shaped and continues to be a part of America's culinary heritage. I am especially fond of the Chinese, Italian, and Southern recipes. I think this book allows even the most intermediate cook to create extraordinarily authentic and flavourful dishes that are sure to impress your guests as they do mine.
on 18 March 2016
This remains one of my favourite cook books- I pretty much read it in the book shop before eventually buying it. So many great foods here- the cinnamon buns are a staple favourite (with everyone!) but there are many other great dishes to try and to savour. Gives a real flavour of the 'melting pot'