Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 November 2006
... is this book nowhere near as good as the original? The first had me laughing out loud. This time I laughed three or four times, at most. Sorry guys, but it reads like it was bashed out in a couple of weeks.
on 13 November 2006
I bought this book at the airport ready to take on a recent holiday. Not bad in places but certainly not as funny as i thought it would be. It was a simple holiday read but did not make me want to read the first one. That said i did like some of the stuff on politicians!!
on 12 October 2006
I really enjoyed the original and bought this expecting more of the same, which is exactly what I got. It's pretty funny in parts, but the writing's not as fresh as the first one and it would have been more interesting to explore the reason why everything's shite. If you're looking for that kind of thing City Slackers by Steve Mckevitt, which is also very funny covers this quite well.
It is just like the first book in that it is pure observation of the ordure that has pervaded our lives without a comic saying "have you noticed.....". I think other revviewers were expecting too much and everyone knows the second volume/ second album is the most difficult to compile.
I suppose it is a published version of the best kind of blog, the kind where the trivia is actually interesting instead of mundane blathering. Not that I have ever read a blog, but excerpts I have been subjected to seem to be mostly from people with the least to say.
perhaps blogs should be part of volume three?
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2008
This book is a miserable, humourless grumble about things that are perhaps moderately irritating in the unlikely event you stop to think about them. It failed to interest the 15-year old it was bought for, though it was certainly not above her intellectual level.
I don't give one star lightly, and I usually try to inject a bit of humour into reviews. But this time I've written in in the style of the book I'm reviewing. So, if you enjoyed this review and would like to read a couple of hundred pages of similar mithering, then buy the book. You're welcome to it.
Utterly joyless.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2006
It was always going to be a hard act to follow. The first book combined a jaundiced view of political life together with wit, insight and the most marvellous spleen.

The second volume just isn't as good, and you can't help feeling that there is an element of cash cow going on here.

Having said that it is streets ahead of most other humour books.

Many entries in this book will make you laugh out loud. A moment later you will wince and cringe as you realise that it is not just you who is driven to distraction by the absurdities of modern life.
on 16 February 2015
Good book about the state of modern Britain that makes you laugh as much as it makes you cry. My personal favorite is Men getting in Touch with their Feminine Side, but, sadly, that is not in this book. Not as funny as the same authors’ Blighty, but still pretty funny.
on 12 May 2010
Loved the Original, so much so it was a permanent inclusion in my toilet for 5 minute reads.
This version however leaves you feeling like one was enough.
As I have read the first cover to cover often, I may have high expectations from a follow up and to be honest, it was nowhere near the first, nothing original and nothing like the brilliance about Cafes especially the originals line about butter.

If you did love the first buy this for as low as possible, and if you haven't read the first, get that, its sooo much better!
on 10 September 2007
Loved volume 1, laughed nearly every page. Hate volume 2, no laughs on any page. A worse sequal than Ocean's 12! Noticeably more lefty too. AVOID AVOID
on 26 August 2009
Tedious and largely cliched left-wing drivel (Bush, Blair, Iraq, Rumsfeld, Condi, the Tories, private schools etc.). Thank God I bought it second hand. Full price would have been a rip-off. I'm someone who more or less hates everything and there's a book out there for people like me, I'm sure. Unfortunately this is not it.