The 'A to Z of Everything' is next best alternative to using your computer to help solve General Knowledge Crossword Puzzles and the like. Using your PC somehow doesn't seem to be playing the game, although most compilers make frequent reference to the internet when preparing a crossword. For me the greater satisfaction is obtained from completing a puzzle with reference only to my personal knowledge bank and one or two reference books and not from slavish reliance on my computer.

This monumental work is absolutely crammed full of facts on just about every subject that is likely to figure in a general knowledge puzzle, is very well indexed, and there is a high probability of the answer you are seeking being found in it's pages. Trevor Montague, his team, and the publishers are to be congratulated in compiling, producing and making available this essential puzzle, and quiz setting aid. It enables the likes of myself, 'a silver-haired' senior puzzle addict the satisfaction, in spite of fast failing fact retention ability, of beating the compilers!
on 18 January 2012
This book is packed with knowledge and facts, some which is essential information and some which is random weird facts - thats fine by me. It's has all the information you need if you were writing an essay on a particular subject and covers pretty much every topic you an think of.

So why two stars?

Well basically it can be very, very difficult to find something specific, particularly people. If you're looking for, as an example, information on Elvis Pressley, do you look at the marriages section, the country of birth section, the death section etc, etc. These subsections just make it hard to find a certain person, as they're usually only mentioned in one of these lists instead of all of them.

The history section is concise, and it's good that it has a TV and film listings section. However you can't put in a TV show like Footballers Wives and leave more prominent drama shows like Spooks and Hustle, as an example. It's like it's trying to add a bit of everything, but not always whats most important. A book can't contain every piece of information there is, and the authors misunderstood that.

Maybe I was expecting more of an encyclopedia, but this book didn't do it for me. It's full of information, stuffed with it, but I didn't find it easy to use and some more important things (historical figures etc.) should have been included rather than wasting a page on paper sizes.
on 3 September 2009
I love quizzes, taxing my little grey cells. I'm also the village's quizmaster, compiling two fundraising events every year.
This book not only gives answers but also provides inspiration for many questions and interesting rounds. It's also cross referencing, for instance it gives "famous" marriages in two sections one under the male and the other under the female spouse. So it's an invaluable as a source and of course also fascinaing for dipping into.
on 28 November 2009
A to Z for crossword reference

A must have volume if you are a general knowledge crossword buff
Very well set out with good cross references
Great value for money
on 1 January 2012
The main reason for buying A to Z was for help with crosswords and quizzes. The coverage of topics is vast with many areas that other reference books do not cover. It will need some time for familiarisation just to appreciate the range of the content. The font is quite small, however the layout makes for easy access. If you like hard copy instead of internet, this is for you.

We have already answered clues from this book that we could not have found from other reference books.
on 12 April 2011
I bought this with some crossword books for my mother who is in a nursing home. She has little mobility but her mind is still sharp and I wanted to help her get some mental stimulation. She has found this book to be just excellent and she uses it many times each day, both to help with the crosswords and just to learn more about events, places and things that she hears about. Both she and I are delighted.
A to Z of Everything
on 22 April 2009
A very useful and informative book.I can even finish off most of my crosswords now!
on 27 October 2011
After having an earlier edition of this book I was not disappointed with the latest one. Yes there has been some deletions and additions but it is still the reference book for anyone with a nose for facts. All crossword fanatics should find it invaluable.
on 29 January 2012
We have had the previous edition for several years and find there is much more in this edition. There is lots of information, particularly on music both pop and classical as well as other subjects which come up in general knowledge crossword puzzles.
on 29 January 2013
Bought it for my niece who loves this sort of thing but lives in Switzerland. It came to me to forward to her and luckily I checked it first. Lot's of fantastic information but from what I can gather very out of date so pretty much useless.