HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 July 2011
Agatha Raisin decides to rent a cottage in Norfolk to see if she likes living there because a fortune teller told her that she would find her destiny in the county. It soon becomes clear there are many goings on in Fryfam that the villagers really don't want to talk about. The strange lights which appear to be fairies is one of the things it's best not to ask about even when things start disappearing from your house. Agatha, being Agatha, soon gets involved with the villagers as well as the nouveau riche Tolly and his wife. When Tolly is murdered Agatha, naturally starts asking questions.

Mrs Bloxby - Agatha's friend, the vicar's wife - does a spot of stirring and encourages Sir Charles Fraith, Agatha's occasional lover and friend, to visit her in Fryfam. But Agatha is still pining for her erstwhile fiancé James Lacey. The local police soon have Agatha well in their sites for the murder because of a series of misunderstandings and coincidences which gives Agatha something else to think about. I liked the portrait of a Norfolk village - which, having lived in Norfolk myself seems pretty true to life plus or minus a few fairies.

I liked the way Agatha's relationship with Sir Charles is developing in an unconventional way and how they work together to try and solve the case. I also liked the way the rest of the characters were developed. This is an interesting series with plenty of reasonably complex plots, not too much violence and some enjoyable series characters such as Sir Charles, James Lacey, Mrs Bloxby and of course Agatha's cats - Hodge and Boswell
One person found this helpful
on 24 July 2013
I tend to devour MCB's Hamish and Agatha Raisin books, so much so that I now ration myself so that I don't run out. As a writer myself I'd love to know MC's secret that makes me so addicted to both of these very different main characters. The books are very much in the Agatha Christie/Midsummer Murders mould in that there are usually numerous murders that take place in a very amiable way. Where M.C. Beaton scores over other crime writers is the quality of her main characters. Agatha Raisin is a brilliant creation (I heard the Radio 4 adaptation which I thought missed the target completely.) Agatha is a complex mixture of strength and bombast that is always undermined by an innate albeit well hidden insecurity. These books won't be everyone's cup of tea but if you want an escape from the harshness of modern life, give them a try.
on 8 May 2017
I am working my way through the complete series and as usual as simply delighted with the work. I really do wonder whether M C Beaton bases Agatha upon herself, but that would be naughty to ask. Read religiously every evening before going to bed and loving it.
on 1 January 2018
The only problem with these cds is when they use anyone but Penelope Keith to narrate , it may work for other Raisin fans , but not for me .
This is great , Penelope at one of her best .
on 3 September 2015
Found this very childish and it's didn't make much sense. Not that Agatha Raisin is a high brow read but really this is to silly for words. The author brought Agatha's doltish posh side kick in half way through but I can't understand why. He didn't bring anything to the storyline just seemed to treat her like an errant school girl with supercilous remarks. Really author MUST DO BETTER or I really will give up reading any more Agatha Raisin
on 8 February 2017
I do like a good murder and in that, this book did not disappoint. Agatha Raisin books are all a little similar, but in their predictably, they are quite enjoyable. I have read every one up to this point and I will continue by reading the next.
on 22 March 2015
Once again, M.C.Beaton provides us with another light-hearted 'who-dunnit' set in a rural backwater untouched by anything modern whatsoever- good old village customs and life are shaken to the core by our ever-trusty Agatha Raisin.
A little bit spoiled by numerous grammatical mistakes unusual for Beaton, the book has some very good literary moments which increase the quality of the read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 March 2014
I bought the next three Agatha Raison books for my Mother in law. I have read them myself and they are amusing raucous and a little racy but very enjoyable. They are easy to pick up and dip into and are not a hard read. My Mother in Law is 92 and so enjoys them because Agatha is a bit of a case and gets into some scrapes and just loves men. Try them - if you like alight read you will enjoy them.
on 17 November 2009
This is the tenth Agatha Raisin I have read. I can't put these books down once I start, Agatha is both very frustrating and yet has the naivety of a young girl, I could at one and the same time shake her yet feel sorry for her. I find myself at times laughing out loud. Anyone who has not yet read any of these books start with The Quiche of Death which is the first in the series, and go from there, I guarantee you will love them.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2015
BUT I always love Agatha Raisin books!! Maybe there is a little of Agatha in me or even all of us. I rarely laugh out loud when reading a book, but Agatha Raisin never fails :)
One person found this helpful