Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 23 August 1998
Late in the eighteenth century, Nicholas Warring, the fourth Earl of Ravensworth, is convicted of murdering Stephen Hampton. As he spends the next seven torturous years as an indentured servant in Jamaica, his wife and all the Ton abandons him. When he finally returns to England in 1801, he lives a life of debauchery, almost as if there will be no tomorrow.
However, Nicholas' lifestyle abruptly changes when he becomes guardian to Elizabeth Woolcott, who needs his protection from the unwanted overtures of Oliver Hampton, whose testimony convicted Nicholas. Though he wants no part of the innocent chit, Nicholas knows how perverted Hampton is, so he takes the lass and her aunt into his home in order to protect her. Though his plan is to marry her off to a decent man in the the ton, Nicholas and Elizabeth fall in love with each other. However, he remains married and Oliver is a force that must be reckoned with before the pair can hope to find happiness together.
WICKED PROMSIES is a typical Regency romance that receives the special Kat Martin treatment of turning it into a fresh reading experience. The lead protagonists are a wonderful pair, especially Nicholas. who must overcome his trauma from his time spent in the colonies if he wants a loving relationship. The villain is as odious as they come and adds a touch of wickedness that promises to keep fans of the sub-genre spellbound throughout the novel.

Harriet Klausner
on 20 August 1999
I really enjoyed this book. Although, it was preditable and the characters rarely fought in the book,like other romance novels, where they fight and make-up. The ending was so emotional and thought out that I didn't want it to end. It felt like a true happily ever after ending. I loved it.
on 17 May 1999
I have read several other Kat Martin books-- Dangerous Passions, Innocence Undone, and Bold Angel--but felt this was the best yet. I fell in love with the characters and I give Kat an A+ for just the right kind of love scenes!
on 21 September 1998
THIS BOOK CAPTURED MY IMAGINATION FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. I LAUGHED, I CRIED, AND I SHOUTED WITH JOY. THE SPARK BETWEEN THE MAIN CHARACTERS WAS A JOY. I COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. WELL DONE KAT MARTIN, WELL DONE!
on 17 November 2009
Well, the story is not really unexpected, because it is already well-known. The development of the ward-guardian relationship is pretty the same we read in other books. What is unexpected is that this is my first Kat Martin's book and I fell in love with this author. Her style is fluid, she creates the necessary tension to keep you turning the pages and forgetting about everything else. Furthermore she created a heroine who is not annoying. That's really unexpected! Usually the heroines, in order to show their independence, intelligence and capacity to do everything like almost modern wonder-women, they become so stubborn and willful to seem almost stupid and unlikeable. In this case, Elizabeth is a very likeable heroine and she is now one of my favourite, together with Alaina of Woodiwiss "Ashes in the wind".
The plot is something we all have already read: a rake, troubled by his past, found himself with a ward he doesn't want to care about. Slowly he is able to change for her until the passion starts burning for both of them, but he is married even if his wife is not living with him. And then the necessity to get married for her in order to escape a brute, the jealousy of Nick at the idea of losing her but since that he can't marry he knows he has to let her go. But then a murder changes everything...
I am really happy to have met this author, I really hope to find also in her next books that I am gonna read a catching plot, interesting hero/heroin and a bit of mystery.
on 26 October 1998
Like most of the reviews previously written, I am a big fan of Kit Martin, and have enjoyed her older books more; but this book held a soft spot for me. It was not your typical lovers-meet-have-a-misunderstanding-and-make-up story. The characters are well defined and grow with each other, which I found refreshing. The story itself was rather predictible, but I would recommend this book as a good read.
on 14 February 1999
I love every minute of this book.This was my first book of Kat Martin, and i really ejoy her book. I'm planning to get more books of hers, but i'm too hooked up collecting Judith McNaught's books. I'm not saying Kat's books are not as good. I'll probably end up collecting Kat's too. I really enjoy this book, this book is a keeper!
on 26 October 1998
I can always count on Kat Martin for wonderful romance, intrigue, adventure, and a GREAT ending. There were moments in this book that reminded me of a personal favorite--JANE EYRE. Only Elizabeth and Nick are a LOT more fun! A book to savor.
on 8 October 1998
Kat Martin did another heartfelt romance story that will take you to another time and place and makes you feel like your one of the main character.Keep up the good work Kat ! I'm looking forward to read another one of your books.
on 19 September 1998
I found this book to be very enjoyable. I recommend it to anyone who likes Kat Martin or sotires along this line. I believe this is one of her best, and I do have the majority of her books. It's light hearted and fund to read.