Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2003
"Her Secret Affair" is another wonderfully written historical love story by this very talented author. The story takes place in Regency London giving us glimpses into the world of the demimonde in this interesting time period. Isabel Darling is a beautiful young woman, the only child of a notorious courtesan searching for the murderer of her mother. She is an innocent country-bred girl determined to find justice even if it is found among prominent members of the aristocrasy. Justin Culver, the Earl of Kern wants to stop her. He is a typical representative of his class, arrogant and proud a stickler for duty and decorum. He is also a handsome young man who finds himself strongly attracted to Isabel against his will. Isabel feels the same attraction and she is just as stubborn as Justin. Their wills clash all the time and their whole life turns upside down during their passionate encounters. The author is a master storyteller and she combines a beautiful love story with an exciting suspence in this marvelous historical romance. She knows her characters well and it is very enjoyable to watch Isabel and Justin fighting sexual tension and also overcoming the differences between their upbringing and social standing. The suspence makes the reader turn the pages with record speed and the characters keep us strongly drawn into their lives until the end.I like the way Ms. Smith tackles important social issues in her book especially the debauchery of the piers of the realm and their pathetic need to keep up appearances.
HER SECRET AFFAIR is an intriguing piece of work, which keeps me a devoted reader of this author's fascinating novels. I highly recommend it to all readers who can recognise quality when they find it.
on 23 December 1998
This book was interesting, more so than some, because the scenario was a tad different--our hero is already engaged at the beginning of the book, and he must fight the attraction he feels for his fiancee's "cousin." I liked the characters in the book, although the Roman god references got a little tiresome.
on 23 June 1998
This book will keep you turning the pages. I stayed up till all hours of the night reading until I finished. This story is unpredictable. In the end, everyone did the "right" thing.
on 27 July 1999
I hated the characters! The only charater that i did like and had intelligence was Helen(sister and fiance). I didn't like the plot at all.
on 16 October 1998
Sorry to disagree with the rest of you but I thought the plot and the characters were very shallow. The fiancee/sister was the only one that showed any intelligence. The only reason I finished reading it was because I bought the book and I hate to waste my money.
on 10 June 1998
No one brings Regency London to life with as fine a hand as Barbara Dawson Smith. She paints a vivid scene and then gives you a romance to sigh for. Think of this as Jane Austen with hot sex and a plot.
on 20 November 1998
I loved this story! I stayed up way too late reading it, and it was for the second time. Isabel Darling is feisty, heroic, and determined -- the kind of heroine I adore.
on 21 August 1998
Like all of Barbara Dawson Smith's books, this one kept me up late reading. What a sexy romance with just the right dash of mystery! I can't wait for the next one.
on 13 April 1998
While all of Barbara Dawson Smith's books entertain, this one is special. I was hooked from the opening line.