Customer reviews

Renegade (Elite Ops)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Another great book from Lora, I did find a few mistakes but I still loved it, I couldn't put it down. It’s had my smiling, people looking must think I mad.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 October 2010
I read all that Lora Leigh writes, and am used to the Elite Ops series being about guys who are warriors, but who have left friends and family and have had plastic surgery to change their looks in order to be able to fulfil their new undercover roles. I have no problems with each book in the series being a variation on a theme, but this book kind of veered away from the tried and trusted formula a tad, making it that bit different, as well as less `angst-y', which resulted in a relationship that was pretty much on roller skates from the word go!

It's a fairly simple tale of 'nice' girl Mikayla, 26, who designs wedding dresses for a living, and has been working on her own dress for some time, until such time that her dreams of finding Mr Perfect come true, but who, due to witnessing a murder, becomes a damsel in distress. Nikolai Steele is not the knight who comes to her rescue, but has been contacted by the alleged killer, Maddix, to try to prove the latter's innocence, and as Maddix has called in a marker, Nikolai's integrity means that he takes the case, though he is not convinced of Maddix's innocence.

That's basically the tale, but it is different to the rest as Nikolai has no history with Mikayla, unlike the leads in the other tales. What this allows is for Nik to be more open with Mikayla, and he actually tells her upfront and before he becomes her knight-to-the-rescue, that he is working for the accused, but his priorities change when she becomes the target of a shooter, and her life is at risk.

Nik is more open than any of the other Elite Ops team members and reveals his past and his loss to Mikayla, when he realises how good and decent a person she is, before he actually tumbles her into bed. She is a calm, genteel lady-type female lead, so totally the opposite to previous leads such as Kira and Bailey (who make a brief appearance her, together with Kira's husband Ian), that it makes a refreshing change not to have all the arguments, feisty stubbornness and angst that we normally find in this series. She is not a total doormat, but she's not a bolshy female, which I really liked. The sex was pretty plentiful, given that Mikayla was a virgin, but was erotic rather than the 'dirty' type of sex that LL writes about - there were hints, but it was pretty much hot, hot, hot vanilla-ish stuff, which did not disappoint, as it fitted in with the tale and the leads.

What spoiled this tale a touch for me is the usual inconsistencies due to shoddy editing/proof-reading, e.g. Nik's description, made him sound like a tougher, 'buffer', version of Lucius Malfoy, with his shoulder length ice-white hair left loose (hmmm, not particularly attractive to me), yet strangely, later in the book, he was described as tall, DARK and handsome. Elsewhere, Nik drove his Hummer to meet Maddix at his house, yet when he left, the Hummer had transformed itself into a motorbike, on which Nik roared off...? There's also mention of Nik looking at Maddix's son and trophy second wife, and 'knowing' the two are at it, yet at the end, we are told of Maddix's second wife's devotion to him, and that she's trying to give him a baby...I would also have liked the tragedy in Nik's past to have been explained, after all there is mention that he 'was a father', but nothing came of it.

Overall, a decent book, much more enjoyable than the full-of-mistakes-and-inconsistencies Heat Seeker, with 'nicer' leads. Looking forward to Live Wire, out next spring.
on 6 November 2010
Another fantastic book by Lora Leigh. Characters captivate you from page 1 and the storyline is intriguing.The overall outline before I bought the book was very representative of what to expect. The only thing that would be helpful in general with books, would be to see more clearly mentioned when the Kindle e-book versions will become available.
on 16 October 2010
I agree with both of the previous reviews.

the story turned out much better than I thought it would and I look forward to the next edition of the Elite Ops - Live Wire. Not sure who this one is about but hopefully it might be Jordan Malone's story.
on 17 January 2013
This book is amazing! It explain everything about the main character as specially as he features in all the elite ops series! Lora Leigh is an amazing author, One of my favourites!
on 26 February 2013
I LOVE THIS SERIES I CANNOT GET IT ON E-READER SO HAVE CARRIED ON IN PAPER BACK AND LOVE THIS STORY
on 4 October 2010
I have to agree with some of the things Roroblu's Mum says in her lengthy review. I noticed the inconsistencies as well, although my disappointment came from the fact that the only other members of the team that were mentioned in this book, and then only briefly, were Tehya and Ian and his wife. I also felt there could have been a bit more detail about Nik's past. I don't think Renegade has the all out excitement of the other Elite Ops books and I guessed the 'punch line' about half way through, but I am a great fan of Lora Leigh (I already have Live Wire on pre-order) and this book was still a great read.