Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2013
I'm leaving this as 5 stars for the story which has been a favourite of mine for a long time. I recently bought the Kindle version which has quite a few editing errors which are very annoying. Spaces between words are missing and whole sections suddenly have a much wider left margin which makes the line length about 8 words.

If you can get the paperback I'd recommend sticking to that.

***** edited review

I've managed to stick with the errors for a while but now I've had enough and will be returning it. This many errors in a cheap book would be annoying; in a full priced one it's not acceptable.
on 21 January 1998
I have been looking for this treasure for years, as I let my original get away, (foolish). I did not even know if it was in print. A wonderfull book, that blends youths, on the paths of life, with the legendary world of faery. Indian shamanism to celtic beliefs, all in an inthralling story. I especially loved the gifting ring, and awe inspiring visits into the past. I am gratefull to have found it again, (as no doubt will be my friends, who have continuously asked for it since,) and will snatch it up.
on 19 May 1998
DeLint's best skill has always been in making the fantasy and real worlds meld seamlessly, and this book remains his masterpiece. Truly a work of beauty. Even if you're not normally into fantasy (I'm more of a hard core SF guy), you will probably like this one.
Unfortunately, some of DeLint's more recent stuff gives the impression that he has run out of ideas. But you'll not go wrong with Moonheart.
on 18 March 1998
A superb compesate of true emotion and the unbelievable beauty of Celtic and Native American mythology. I found it gripping, breath taking and heart wrenching at times. The characters are truly human, and this is what you will find most encaptulating. A very in-depth story that will hold you until the very end!
on 14 December 1997
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read! It took me further away from my life that I have ever been, more vividly than I have ever felt. The inscriptions of de Lint's pages have secured him as one author I'd recommend to anyone willing to listen.
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2004
It's very rare that I don't finish a book. It doesn't matter how bad a book is usually, I will read it through to the end, to see if there are any pleasant hidden surprises lurking in the final pages. A few times, books have been redeemed for me in this way. For me not to finish a book, that book would have to be so turgid, so clumsily written, so beyond belief, that I would have no choice but to get it away from me.
This is the only book I can remember not finishing in the last ten years. 100 pages in, I couldn't take it any more, I stood up and hurled it into the waste paper basket in the corner of the room with tremendous force. I didn't even put it on the Amazon Marketplace, because I couldn't take responsibility for somebody else having to go through what I had just experienced. I should have locked it in a lead box and dropped it in a lake.
The characters are paper thin, the celtic themes were more suitable for a greeting card than a novel for adults, and it was just impossible to believe in the plotline, which seemed to have wandered out of a (poor) childrens book, with none of the writing verve to make it plausible for adults who are even remotely intelligent.
If you are looking for intelligent fantasy, try Mervyn Peake or China Mieville, and have your mind blown by those guys.
Awful. Tripe. Unforgivable. These words do not justice to the numbing mediocrity of this book.
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 1999
I found the plot of the detectives to bring the story down somewhat, but it is still a five star read.
The mansion is truly a magical place. I would love to live in a house like this. A very well crafted fantasy.
on 7 June 1999
Moonheart was the very first deLint book(and contemporary fantasy book) that I'd ever read. It's still only surpassed in genre by Neil Gaiman's work, and de Lint has never risen to this level again(except maybe with The Little Country). When work of this type has this kind of quality, it has a sense of true magic in the ordinary. That is what flows out of this book in torrents. From the beloved characters to the sense of wonder behind every corner and the sheer vision of this piece of literature, Moonheart has earned a place on my favorites list and in my heart.
on 6 July 2013
This latest ebook from Charles de Lint is his seminal work of urban / mythic fantasy. As a bonus, it includes artwork by Charles Vess previously only available as part of a premium print edition!

The story itself is (literally) classic de Lint, and you can see the character development and themes so prominent in his later work already present in Moonheart. I've read this book many times over the years, and it still retains its magic and its charm for me.

If you enjoy de Lint's work, or urban / mythic fantasy in general, you need to buy this book! If you've never read de Lint, this is a great way to see where it all began!
on 17 June 1998
Moonheart was an truly amazing book! Far above J.R.R. Tolkein or C.S. Lewis. Its a new kind of fantasy. I couldn't put it down. It's a real diamond in the rough. You have to try this book.