on 19 April 2017
I'll be quick, The Eye of the World is a fantastic book. Being a huge lover of Lord of the Rings, this book and its lore has some similarities to LOTR as well as being original and fresh. The journey the characters go through in this book are amazing, there are about 7 prominent characters all of which have their own unique personality which you will either love or slightly dislike them for (all for good reasons). The story is fantastic, it makes imagine how you would act and feel if suddenly you pleasant and peaceful life suddenly changed and you had no choice but to leave a place you love. There are times however which will require you to look in the Glossary to understand particular names, places and lore about what the characters are talking about and doing (but this is something I love). Jordan's world building is simply outstanding, a book that makes you wish you were part of the journey just shows how good the book actually is.

Its the first part of a 14 book long series, if you are a lover of fantasy novels and you want to sink your teeth into something worth while than look no further than The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World.
on 21 March 2017
The path you take along with the characters both good and bad is amazingly absorbing and richly descriptive.

The mythology that the people have is believed and disbelieved in equal measure which makes for some good turns of events.

The leading characters thread their way through the series in a believable way, and there is a huge range of extra people each with their own story and affiliations, which gradually make you aware of the vast scope of the landscape and the seismic changes that are about to unfold.

People deal with each other in the way of people everywhere - it's never entirely straightforward, sometimes even friends turn hostile, but strong bonds are formed too and small touches of humour (sometimes very dark) make the characters crackle with life in a way that makes you keep reading even if you don't like them that much.

The Magic element is very interesting, especially the female good/male bad aspect that pervades the entire belief system of the people. There is not much said about religion, but there is a strong set of superstitions concerning 'The Dark One' which reflects in our world.

The manipulation of events behind the scenes as well as the more up-front battles, make this part spy-thriller as well as an escape and evasion story - there is also a love quadrangle in a later book as well invasion, war, and politics.

This book is the taster at the supermarket which leads to a 14 course banquet of goodness.
on 23 April 2017
Loved it. Read it within days. The story is so well written, the characterisation is fantastic and i literally couldn't wait for the next one so ordered as soon as I'd finished this one. This is a must read!!
on 18 July 2017
Struggled a bit to get into, but enjoying it so far.
on 26 July 2017
I am absolutely hooked on this series and really wish I had found it earlier! It's original and the characters are well rounded. I particularly like the female characters and their dynamic - it's much more fleshed out than most fantasy series I've read.
on 11 April 2017
I was on a sci-fi binge and, having run out of C.J. Cherryh, I thought the Eye of the World looked interesting. Unfortunately its first few pages brought me back to a sci-fi genre that just trots out platitudes and same-old-same-old themes. The book may improve - but I don't suppose I'll ever find out as I can't be arsed to read more. Pity I bought it on Kindle or I'd take it down to the nearest charity shop.
on 31 July 2017
Loved the whole book reminded me of Tolkien style very complicated throughout. Throughly enjoyed it and recommend to fantasy fans.
on 5 September 2013
if you have not read this series "The wheel of Time" then start the only problem is you will put your life on hold untill you have read them all, this is my 3rd time of reading the series starting again at the beginning
on 14 December 2007
I have two reasons for writing this review.

1)This is one of my favorite all time fantasy epics, I know a lot of people say his books went down hill after book nine.
I also beleive this, but I still enjoyed his work. For those of you who dont know, Robert Jordan was fighting a particularly brutal blood desease while writing books ten and eleven.
Alas he lost his fight(16/09/2007) while half way through finishing book twelve.
2)The second and main reason for writing this review is that Tor Publishing has signed on another author to finish book twelve.
The authors name is Brandon Sanderson author of the stand alone novel Elantris and also the Mistborn Trilogy of which two have already been published

I hope Mr Sanderson will do this masterpeice justice.

P.S, Jordan's/Sanderson's book twelve, A Memory of Light is scheduled for publication in autumn 2009.

I hope this review was of some help to you.
on 8 June 2017
Intense action, great characters, hooked from start to finish. Excellent!