on 2 May 2016
I loved this book. Its a tough story based around the 900 day seige of Leningrad. The story is cold in a lot of the description with the cold Russian mother who finds it hard to love her daughters. To the cold weather, the Winter Garden and the harsh Russian winter.

Its a lovely story recommended to me from a book club. I did Russian language and history at school so I have an interest in Russian history, but its a lovely story that will keep you turning the pages
on 15 May 2017
You need a lot of patience for this book, it doesn't really get going until the second half but once it gets going it really rolls. I don't know much about Russian history so I found it really interesting. I couldn't bond with the characters as I found them all pretty unlikeable but the essence of the story made up for that.
on 15 February 2017
What a beautifully written account of such a tragic time. This book will make you cry and make you smile and it will really make you cherish your family. Its an inspirational story with characters that you will never forget. You must read this. Absolutely stunning.
on 2 June 2017
A wonderful book! I didn't want it to end! The horror of Leningrad should never be forgotten. The story of Anya unfurled so subtly as does the understanding of her children. The shock ending made me cry. I really recommend this book.
on 14 June 2016
This book is quite deceptive and takes a little to get into. It's the story of a relationship between a distant mother and her two daughters. It's linked to the past and present, very cleverly written and almost impossible to put down. Highly recommend as a light holiday read for a release.
on 24 May 2017
I absolutely loved this book. I found it enthralling and am very surprised it has not got more reviews. An absolute delight.
on 17 April 2017
Overall a good read, the most enjoyable parts and characters were the ones told in the story of the siege.
on 17 November 2016
Great book
on 19 July 2017
excellent writer.
on 5 April 2017
A Brilliantly written, emotive story, which I much enjoyed. I shall miss this novel and the characters I feel I know so well.