on 7 March 2013
I haven't tried any of the projects in this book yet but was tempted to buy it from Amazon having seen an expensive copy in a shop. The ideas are quite versatile, who is to say the table runner can't be a scarf. Very nice motifs to copy for other projects too. Even though the designs are for particular yarns, this shouldn't be a problem with coasters and cushions, after all the size isn't a major issue. Admittedly some of the cushions would cost a fortune to knit in the recommended yarns.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2017
Not very pleased with item. Patterns are not suitable for everyday use. Wish I'd never have bought this item. Can't be bothered to return it cos of high postage.
on 28 October 2015
Another collection of designs from the excellent Martin Storey, mostly small items that won't take too long to make. A good choice if you like making gifts for friends who don't knit. The patterns all use Rowan wools, particularly Rowan Felted Tweed DK, but I expect you could use another DK as long as you check the tension corresponds. For things such as placemats and runners this would not be a problem as size is not critical. I especially liked the Reindeer cushion and the hot water bottle cover.
on 21 December 2010
A lot of the patterns are knitted in Rowan Felted Tweed and I understand that this is being phased out so it will be neccesary to find alternative yarns.

The hot water bottle cover is lovely and the Fair Isle colour schemes are great.

I love Martin Storey's patterns. Classic but stylish.
11 people found this helpful
on 16 July 2013
J'adore, I love it. The models are attractive and reflect the Scandinavian spirit. Many small christmas gifts to make and offer, pillows, socks. I recommend it. This book gives us the desire to be in the winter, I also really like the atmosphere that emerges. It is very beautiful.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 January 2013
Husband loves this book. It was hinted at for a Christmas present and it hasn't dissapointed. He has been knitting from it ever since and made lovely mug cosies coasters and various other projects. Really ticks the 'Nordic' box.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2015
bought it for my mom to knit me the poncho.. I can't knit buy have been inspired to learn. blooming' lovely.
on 30 December 2010
Lovely collection of patterns ranging from fairly easy to more complex designs.
inspiring fair isle from coasters to full garment and amazing socks.
Lovely cushions and a fab hottie cover.
Beautifully photographed and clearly laid out.
Must have for any knitters bookshelf !
8 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2011
I'm already a big Martin Storey and Rowan fan, so was expecting big things of this book, and it lived up to all my expectations. A nice variety of projects to keep avid knitters entertained. Probably not for the beginner. A lovely waistcoat pattern, several pairs of legwarmers, hats, socks and so on, using Rowan's lovely Felted Tweed yarn. Even if you don't knit anything from it, it's a nice book to repeatedly browse through.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2011
I dithered over buying this book - but I needn't have worried. It has lots of patterns that I'd be willing to follow word for word, and others that can easily be adapted. The images are great and will be starting with something small like a coaster to get used to working with many yarns. I even have some Rowan Yorkshire tweed yarn left from ages ago to use up!
6 people found this helpful