Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 June 2017
This series niftily blends the current trend for fairytale retellings and rejigs it into a science fiction world where the terrifying Lunar Queen Levana is determined to bring Earth under her control. The Lunar operatives have a scary form of mind control which works on most Earthers and is a solid reason why cyborgs are so hated and reviled.

Once again, Meyer tips us into the middle of this adventure and feeds us slices of information as and when we need them in amongst the action and mayhem that kicks off almost instantly. There is a high level of violence in this book with a trail of dead and broken bodies, kidnapping and murder – but then the stakes are so very high. What keeps it from being joylessly grim are the shafts of humour that are delivered mostly through the dialogue as some of the awfulness tips into farce.

The two protagonists, Scarlet and Cinder, are both feisty and determined. Scarlet refuses to believe that her grandmother has just wandered off and will wander back in due course, despite what the local police force are trying to tell her. I really liked her character – a strong-minded, emotional person who plunges into situations and thinks about the consequences later. She isn’t unlike Cinder, who is also stubborn and strong-minded. But she is less grounded and sure of herself. And the reasons for Cinder’s odd lack of self-confidence becomes increasingly clear throughout the book.

Wolf is a very interesting character – a savage and effective street fighter who comes to Scarlet’s attention just as her grandmother goes missing. They form an unlikely team – but I wasn’t sure he was completely trustworthy as it seems far too much of a coincidence that he should turn up just as she needs more muscle. But a complicated, ambivalent main character is always interesting. The growing relationship between them is well handled and I believed in it.

I really like Meyer’s handling of the plot, where you think one thing is happening and as the story progresses, you realise in fact that something else is going on. This means I am not going to be able to discuss much of the plot. The pacing and action continue hurtling forward – this is a book that starts with a bang and doesn’t let up throughout. Recommended for fans of fairytale retellings with a difference.
8/10
on 18 May 2013
I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy Scarlet because although I enjoyed Cinder, I expected a lot from it. I think perhaps with my expectations not as high as they were, I actually found Scarlet a more enjoyable read. I think this is partly because Scarlet is a much stronger book.

I thought Scarlet was a much better protagonist. Scarlet seems a lot stronger and has more about her. She comes across as strong-willed and ready to kick anyone's ass that messes with her. I love how she stands up for herself and her grand-mother. I also loved the character of Wolf, a street fighter, who she has to trust if she wants to find her grand-mother. I did like how the story changed from Scarlet to Cinder's adventures. The book shifts every few chapters to ensure both of the character's tales are being told. Cinder and Kai are likeable characters, but as I mentioned before, I find Scarlet and Wolf much more interesting.

Marissa Meyer can certainly write well. I loved the change of narration. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series.
on 10 July 2017
When I read Cinder, I couldn't put it down, I didn't feel like that until about half way through Scarlet. I just didn't feel that the book flowed as well as Cinder. That being said, it's an interesting and enjoyable story and I will definitely read the next books in the series.

One negative with the Kindle edition is that there is so many grammatical errors that I have spotted.
on 5 September 2017
This is the second book in the Lunar Chronicles series. I read it so quickly. I found myself unable to put it down. I'll be moving onto the third book immediately. Brilliant series so far. Very easy to get hooked.
on 11 October 2016
Great book! Excellent plot, fun characters, and fascinating world make for a wonderful read! My only qualm is the writing style, which is slow and lumpy, even during action scenes, but it hardly detracts from my reading experience. Would recommend!
on 21 January 2016
The lunar series was a great read, everything you want in a book. A strong hero, funny, suspense at every turn and very creative. Wasnt sure about these book, but enjoyed every moment. Scarlet is a strong female character with no magic, nothing that makes her special except who she is.
on 18 September 2017
Excellent, read the entire Lunar Chronicles series and thoroughly enjoyed all four books
on 26 April 2016
bought for my daughter who read the first book in the series and enjoyed it, so she wanted to see how it played out
on 21 September 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
on 15 June 2017
Amazing except for the sliver peeling and a bend corner
review image