Customer reviews

on 16 June 2016
good price, fast delivery. thanks
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 13 February 2014
The Darklight trilogy features prophecies, a chosen one, and a heroine with many powers. These tropes are far from my favourites, but in the hands of a quality writer they're not bad. Darynda Jones's strength lies in character dynamics with plenty of witty banter. Trouble is, the humour seems forced and out-of-place amongst the serious storylines. (BDSM even gets a throwaway joke, and this is a YA novel.)

DEATH AND THE GIRL HE LOVES does exactly what a good finale should: provide a cataclysmic event to wrap up the threads. Two-thirds into the novel, the story takes a major turn. The mindbender completely stopped me in my tracks, then I frantically binge-read until novel's end. That kind of immersive reading experience is something I don't feel often, but I love.

Had I been thinking, rather than just reading, the twist would've come as no surprise. But it did shock me, which earns my full respect. Emotionally, it's kind of insulting, but I won't explain why because of spoilers.

I may not agree with how the story ends, but I certainly understand why the author chose this. Applause to you, Ms. Jones: I feel kind of angry, but in a good way.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse