on 18 July 2014
A very engaging read for young children. Both of my children love to have this book read to them over and over again, perhaps not quite so much for the story but the repetitiveness of Tikki Tikki Tembos full name. It became a race to see who could say the whole name first. The only reason I have not given this book five stars is because of the cultural inaccuracies. However, these small inaccuracies do not detract from the enjoyment of the story in any way. I would totally recommend this book.
on 16 January 2013
One of the few children's stories I'm happy to read over and over. Part of the pleasure is in saying Tikki Tikki Tembo's reeeeeaaaally long name as fast as you can. Even my 3 year old can do it and I let her fill in the name whenever we get to it in the story.
on 7 January 2013
I hesitated to give this book five stars for a number of reasons, most notably the unwarranted but niggling feeling that perhaps it's not the most politically correct book (although there's nothing remotely offensive about a tale from ancient China) and the fact that by the end of the book if you're reading this aloud to your child you get so freaking tired of saying that whole name that you hope that your child doesn't want you to read it again.

And the reason I gave it five stars anyway is because my four-year-old did want me to read it again. And again. And again and again and again until she could rattle off "Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo" without hesitation herself. It's a cute story that deserves to be read out loud, no matter how exhausting it gets, because it's fun and catchy and one that I remember fondly from my own childhood for the same reasons that my daughter loves it now.

So buy this book. But you might also want to buy an oxygen tank to go with it.
on 24 August 1999
I used this book in my second grade classroom , and my students absolutely loved it. We made a collaborative class book, where each child created their own long, crazy name and had to tell what it meant. Then they illustrated it. It was an excellent activity where the children were reading, writing, and creating all at once!
on 20 February 2014
Children in my nursery loved this book so I bought it for my neice. Very repetitious so adults might want to read this in stages!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 1997
I remember when my sisters and I would read this book, we had so much fun with Tikki Tikki Tembo's name. Thats all we would talk about(mind you I was in kindergarden at the time) A great book to share with anyone who is interested in a good story and lots of laughs trying to pronouce Tikki's FULL name.
on 8 March 1999
Looking for a book to use for a thematic unit on China? Or for a unit on names? Or just for a fun book to read that will enchant and delight your children? This is it!!! Tiki Tiki Tembo, the book with the tremendously long name, has never failed to captivate my students. Buy it now!!! You won't be disappointed.
on 29 September 1997
This was my favourite story as a child.....I am now 26 years old.....and still have very fond memories of having the book read to me by my mother. During my teacher training, this was my favourite book to share with my class and I would recommend it to anyone, young or old.
on 17 June 1999
I just ordered this book for my twin cousins who were just born. I will remember this book always as well as the Three Billy Goats Gruff as my two childhood favorites. This has to go down in the top ten classic children's books of all time.
on 18 March 2013
i remember reading this when i was 4 back in the 80's, loved it then and has always stuck in my mind. wanted my own children to enjoy the book as much as i did...and they do!