on 18 May 2011
This book contains the critics of 1000 films, as they were published in the New York Times when the movie was out. With an additional list of films per countries. It takes you back at the time when the movie was made and thus greatly enhances your understanding of it. I never watch a movie without reading two or three critics (Virgin Movie guide, this book, etc). A great idea, buying this book.
on 31 January 2014
.. well here looks a good one.
I've not had chance to fully digest it yet, but it looks fine.
Be aware the reviews are (almost all) from time of release. This adds a certain period charm and interest.. but also means it lacks the long view as to how a film 'settled down' through the years.
For the collectors, the list tickers? As a new challange.. it looks good. I have done 1001 MYMSBYD and also 96%+ through Halliwell's, and about 90% of 'The Guardians 1000 films you must see... and yet, on a rough check, I'm left with an interesting challenge of about 300 in this book that are not in the others.
I haven't dived into it enough to discover how many of the ones in this book are real stinkers to find.. but I doubt it is as tough. Neither, at preliminary browse, it does seem to have as many weird and wonderful experimentals and highly obscure world cinema. Take that comment as either a criticism or compliment depending on your views.and tastes.
For me.. well, I'm glad I did 1001 MYMSBYD, mainly for the reasons stated above, but I'm delighted to have this book as a companion.
on 5 December 2014
This item is a present so I am unable to write a review of the product contents.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse