Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 August 2015
This is a brilliant read.

We get into the head and mind Decius Caecilius Metellus as he arrives from Rome (to get away from his sworn enemy) into the hell on earth of a Roman legion preparing for war.

We learn that the 6000 swords, earth ramparts and a spiked wooden palisades are all that protects out hero and the legion from millions of Gauls who don't seem to want to be told where to stay.

Behind this are the Germans who want to push the Gauls out but even worse are the machinations of the Roman Politician.

I won't give the plot away but there is an initial murder followed by a ritual slaying followed by a capture and escape of our hero. (Heck you knew he would escape there's about 7 more books in this excellent series!)

This book is an excellent addition to the series and differs from those I've read in that it is not set in a city such as Rome or Alexandria.

Roberts knows his stuff and informs the reader well of features of a Roman camp in enemy territory. Nuggets of info are thrust into the story which add to this and the reader's enjoyment.

As I said the story rattles along and I finished the whole book in one very enjoyable day.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 February 2013
This is a brilliant read. It reads like a film of the book in that there are no long passages of reflection or navel contemplating.

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 August 2010
on 7 October 2001
The sixth mystery featuring Decius Metellus continues this excellent series set in ancient Rome.
A murder in Julius Caesar's legion sets Decius on an investigation involving Gauls, Germans as well as Patrician Romans.
A wonderful read from the best Roman mystery series. A full 5 star book.