on 20 July 2017
Purchased for a friend who is going through a tough time.
on 14 April 2017
brilliant collection should be made in to a film
on 4 December 2005
Laurell K rocks but L.A. Banks belongs to one of those grunge bands which has a small dedicated following and which noone else has ever heard of or ever wants to. It was too hard to establish empathy or even a particular liking for the main characters. The use of "my bad" over and over and over and over again just about drove me up the wall. It's not a UK expression and so it was unfamiliar although not too hard to figure out. Or so I thought. Every so often a character would use it with an obviously different (and still incomprehensible) meaning and the plot of an entire page would become meaningless nonsense because of it. So many times I was thrown out of the flow of the book that I gave it up as a bad job! It was a niggly thing, but written into the dialogue so often it became so irritating that it overcast the entire book. Would I buy another. Not on your nelly!
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2004
What a dreadful shame. I had really high hopes for this. It was billed as somewhere between Anita Blake (Laurell Hamilton) and Buffy but didn't deliver. I love my horror fiction atmospheric, full of great characters and with a thumping good plot. This disappoints on all counts being instead a muddle with no real story or climax. It is poorly written and has committed that unpardonable sin of taking a basically good premis and soundly killing it. Don't buy any books by LA Banks until she learns to actually write. Stick with the experts- Laurell Hamilton, Kim Wilkins, Tanya Huff, Mercedes Lackey (horror NOT her SF) and Kelley Armstrong. Save your money.
on 2 December 2003
If you're looking for another Anita Blake book and are seriously frustrated because (like me) you've read them all, don't expect this book to solve your frustrations. It will only make them worse. Minion attempts to enter Anita Blake's playing field with a vampire slayer somewhat like Buffy. Every 1000 years a venetu (vamp slayer) is born... you get the picture?
The cover of this book is nice, and the idea is good. The guardians and slayer being artists in a band is okay too, but what isn't okay is the way the book just ends. There is no climatic good vs evil ending, no fight with the master vamp and slayer going at it hammer and tongs. Nothing. It just stops. There is a second book coming in January, but I think it should be called the second HALF of this one.
Minion is only half a story. It left me feeling annoyed and frustrated. Maybe if I had the second one already, I would have given this one more stars, but maybe not too. This book does not stand up on its own. It really does need a proper ending.
on 27 June 2007
L.A. Banks laid it down on this book. This book stars the first multi-cultural vampire huntress series with a multi-ethnic, multi-religion cast of characters. I think that this book is better than the first editorial review would lead you to believe. Minion is a tale of the legend of the Vampire Huntress. Minion is defined as one who is highly favored, a darling. This correctly describes our main character, Damali. She is a 20-year old spoken word artist and one of the top acts for Warriors of the Light Records. But at night, she and her group of guardians hunt vampires. In this story, vampires and demons are not myths, they are reality. Without going into too much detail, the action and drama are well-balanced and the main and supporting casts are nicely introduced and fleshed out, making them quite believable.

Although the amount of "necessary" explanation of the Neteru and Guardian history may cause you to double back to make sure you've understood everything, I think the author did an excellent job of setting us up for her mini-series. There is an eroticism associated with vampires and Fallon Nuit is no exception. The author describes him with a sensuality of the most masculine of men, but the prettiness of a female. Nuit is sexy enough to make a straight man want him. It's this type characterization that makes this novel stand out.

The tone of the novel is dark, fast pace, and truly imaginative. The characters are very well developed. You can feel their pain, power and terror. The grotesque descriptions in the novel give it authenticity at that. If you like vampire stories, you will love this novel and if you don't like vampire stories, you will still love this novel.
on 2 January 2010
I have just finished this book. Yes, it does just end without a finale. However I have just started the second book and so far so good.

I would say this book sets the scene to understand what is going on in the world of vampire slayers. I found it very refreshing. It was a fun read. This is the one to start the series and would suggest to buy this one and no 2 as well. Once I have finished no 2 I will write my review.

The "my bad" did not show up that often, also the setting of the storyline is set in the younger music scene, but don't worry, I am over 40 and enjoyed it.
on 23 April 2009
The dialogue in the book was irritating, but other than that I thought it was fairly well written.....the problem, however is that after all the build up, it just ends without anything really happenening. Obviously there is a sequel planned, but this book does not stand up on its own....it merely intriduces the characters and sets the scene before stopping abruptly. It lacks plot, suspence and an ending
on 11 November 2010
I was really excited to start this series, as the cover basically says that if you like Buffy, Anne Rice and Blade, you will LOVE this series. Well, I don't 'love' it. In fact, I didn't like the first half much at all, but it FINALLY started to get interesting and then BAM! Book ends?!? What?!? It's like a tv series in that you seriously end in the middle of a story and have to move on to the next book to find out what happens next! Not like most book series where you have a main character and each book is a different predicament they find themselves in. However, I must say, I'm anxious to read the next book and find out what happens, so I guess it worked?!? lol
I'm hoping the first book was just a little slow because we have to get to know the characters, and the story, all the history, etc. It's not bad enough to keep me from trying at least a couple of more in the series, but I'm hoping for more action and a little more clarity
on 13 August 2011
I stumbled across L.A Banks in my local Waterstone's and seeing this book thought 'What the hell, it looks pretty good!', not ever having heard of her or her work before.
I got this book home and couldn't put it down and before long I had fund myself buying the entire series. She reworks the whole myth of the vampire, bring's it into a modern day world and brings in a wealth of knowledge to make every sentence believable and the characters completely human (in my opinion.)
It is such a shame about her passing earlier this month but we have the honour of her work living on and I would recommend this book and the entire series to any Vampire fan!