on 14 April 2017
I have enjoyed this, I learnt the history of origin, which was extremely different to that, which I had expected. I have also established a few phrases that I can use either at work, or at leisure, which will satisfy me, relieve tension and/or frustration, but which nobody else understands, which leaves me free form being accused of inappropriate behaviour.
It's a well written book
on 26 June 2017
quite interesting
on 12 May 2009
I fell in love with this book from the first to the last page. The use of Jewish humour is subtle and plays on words. This book by Michael Wex gives insight into Yiddish in all its moods. Yiddish began to develop as the Jews moved across europe and this book give the meanings of expressions, used in all walks of life. Religion, Curses, Misery,and money , Courtship and Marriage, The whole gambit ot life and even death. In this book there is humour even in the end of life.
This is an education. Unlike Leo Rosten's classic Joys of Yiddish or Maurice Samuel's altogether more austere little tome In Praise of Yiddish, here we get to see the mame-loshn's subversive side. It's not comprehensive - you won't find kochleffl, for instance - but the very first word we meet is aftselachis (out of spite), not one deployed by the jovial Rosten. He was all about Yiddish-in-English; Wex is firmly in the old country. Yiddish, he cheekily suggests, was the original jive [talk]; more chillingly, he invites us to see it as Hebrew, 'the linguistic equivalent of the Undead', taking over German's living body. '[T]hen came the Drang nach Osten'!! This is as linguistically satisfying as it is funny.
on 13 February 2011
If you ever wanted to spell a shrug and make it last a hundred pages or more, this is the book for you. Outsiders say we complain and moan. We don't and this book explains it all, slowly and clearly. Buy it.
on 13 April 2010
What a great gift book and a great book to lewrn form yourself too, i loved it and keep i on the dining table now, its brought so many smiles and we all have learned form it too.... its a great discussion topic too.... delving into our own delths and seeing what lies below....lol. Do get it.... then you can thank me..... ;-)
on 31 December 2012
Following a trip to Israel I wanted to learn more and this is a fantastic introduction to Yiddish culture. Worth a read.
on 23 October 2014
Excellent service all round, packaging, delivery all spot on and the book is enlightening, entertaining......and good value
on 21 November 2014
I never really understood about kvetching until I read Michael book. A masterpiece of trivia and yiddishkeit
on 22 April 2015