Customer reviews

on 7 August 2006
After buying A Summer in the Country - only to discover that it was Forgotten Laughter retitled - I've been wary of making the same expensive mistake twice. I thought I'd save others from doing the same.
22 Comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2009
I bought this for a friend who is a Marcia Willett fan. She had assumed it to be a new book. On receipt and opening, it is clearly a re-published book from four years ago previously entitled, 'Theo's Parrot'. Only the cover and title are different, the contents are identical. There appears to be no connection to 'A friend of the family' within the book text and no logical (or honest) reason why it should be renamed, except to 'con' customers. Very disappointing from such an established and respected author.
on 15 July 2010
All Marcia Willett's books are a delight to me - well written, good character development and vivid pictures of people and places BUT this book was published in 1995 as Thea's Parrot and, as such I already own it! So, for that reason, a great disapointment.
on 9 October 2012
I adore all books by Marcia Willett (she also writes as Willa Marsh ). I have slowly collected everything she has ever written and I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone who likes a good read. The characters come to life (and a few are actually real people) and the plots are very carefully worked out and totally believable. Finding the same people again in another book, as background characters makes it feel as if you are reading about people you actually know, old friends... Very clever!
Although, as in real life, there are sad, bad and downright awful patches, the books have a real feel good factor and are a true pleasure to read. Can't recommend them highly enough.
on 20 June 2013
Like all Marcia's books it is a beautifully written story. The reality of life with all its facets jumps from the pages but you feel better for having read it. I'm always waiting for the next book to come.
on 4 April 2014
So glad I read the reviews before buying this to find that it was Thea's Parrot retitled. I love Marcia Willett's books and hoped this was a new one.
on 5 October 2013
Marcia willet is one of my favourite authors so when I see a copy of hers and I don't have I can't resist it
on 13 May 2015