on 14 November 2012
Review of the series (followed by a review of this book):
This series of books is based around the adventures of two men - Macro and Cato. Macro is a soldier through and through; he has spent his life in the army and is a centurion when we first meet him in the first book. In that book we also meet Cato who joins the legion as a new recruit, although he seems an unlikely candidate for a soldier. The series goes on to relate their many adventures and the relationship between them. Most of the stories are based - sometimes loosely - on real events and people, with a healthy dose of artistic license.
As far as I can tell the historical detail and facts are accurate, and the writing is generally engaging. There are criticisms in other reviews about the authors use of 'modern' slang; I know what they mean, but would we identify with 'roman' slang? For me, it is not a problem, I am not a fan of trying to invent historical language, it is too easy to fall into the 'ye olde shoppe' trap!
Overall, the series is very readable, and rolls along at a good pace. Like some other historical series, it doesn't do to try and fit the events into a timeline, as it soon becomes clear that the two men could not have done everything they do in one lifetime, but that doesn't detract from a fun series. Two niggles:the formatting annoys me in that the gaps between paragraphs are too long, particularly where there are long conversations, and they are a little over-priced.
Review of this book:
Our two heroes are now in Briton, fighting to complete the conquest. They are outnumbered and dealing with a varying range of allies and enemies. They also find themselves faced with treachery within their own ranks. The relationship between the two main characters continues to develop, and one or two other characters emerge who will feature in future stories. My only concern is the portrayal of the emperor Claudius; I know there are conflicting historical portraits of him, but I think the version here is far too over the top. He may well have had physical disabilities, but by all accounts he was not the fool he appears here.
on 13 May 2017
Agreat book, brilliant author, looking forward to reading, the rest of the series, allways enjoy the Simon Scarrow writings, this is the second time I have read this series so if this is not a good advertisement for a writer , I don't know what is, DAVE BOWEN.
on 18 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Simon Scarrow is an excellent write and makes you feel you are living withy Cato and Marco,
on 29 March 2017
good yarn
on 10 September 2017
Must enjoyable read, but I do like books on Roman
on 26 November 2014
Quality book looking forward to reading the third , intense all the way through , brilliant story line :) .
on 11 May 2017