on 3 June 2017
Don't be misled Karen Pirie is hardly in this book at all. It's about the four men who you don't really care too much about! I found myself skipping chunks of the book as there was a great deal of repetition as though the author had to achieve a certain word count and filled pages by repeating the same point in different ways. The finale was a bit contrived as well with everything shoe horned into place whether it fit or not.
on 5 March 2017
Another wonderfully book by one of the best crime writers of my lifetime just could not stop reading another great ending
on 13 April 2017
Took me awhile to get into this book and got a bit fed up with the police interrogating the four lads all the time and not showing signs of looking for other leads, about half way through I myself suspected who the murderer was but of course changed my mind with the introduction of a son, once again a real twist In the tale by val McDermid.
on 17 March 2017
It's definitely an exciting read although I admit that I did have a suspicion as to who the original murder was from about half way through. However a great twist in the tail to the final outcome.
on 30 March 2017
The premise of the story is good: a cold case brought back to life through recent events, paired with student life in the 1970s, police attitudes that now seem old-fashioned and some character development of the students. However, I felt that there were some holes in the plot. Also, I suspected the killer almost from the word 'go'. Could do better.
on 14 September 2017
This is a pacy and absorbing read from McDermid. It's billed as the first in the Karen Pirie series but she didn't really appear until well into the story and didn't have the feel of a protagonist - maybe this will come in future books. I do prefer the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series but this is still a gripping 4-star read.
on 29 April 2017
I read Out of Bounds which prompted me to go back to the start of the Karen Pirie story and work my way through the series. I was not disappointed. Another excellent book and now looking forward to book number two. Karen is not the central character in this one but it does introduce her to the story.
on 13 September 2017
Val McDermid always writes well although why this was a Karen Pirie book I don't know as her role was peripheral. However it had a good sense of setting and dialogue although of course, like all police procedurals there were parts that were a bit contrived. Overall a good read though.
on 29 May 2017
This book examines our reaction to murder, our assumptions. The polis have to deal with this and try to find the person or persons who committed the crime. It is not possible without DNA forensics.
A great sense pf place. The audio book has an authentic Kircaldy accent.
on 7 September 2017
Never read any of Val Mc Dermid's work so I picked up this early one cheap on Amazon. Thought it very lightweight. Characters rather weakly drawn and not too convincing. And to be honest it was easy to work out the villain of the piece early on.