Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2010
I'm sad to see that this fantastic book by Caroline Sharp hasn't been given more reviews. I came across it by chance when I was browsing for something entirely different, I thought it looked good so I bought it on a whim. I am so glad I did! It is filled with fantastic exercises to get you in the habit of writing regularly and about different things that you probably wouldn't normally consider. At the beginning of each exercise she gives a small anecdote which are usually humorous and interesting, she then outlines the task she wants to you attempt and finally explains the importance behind each task and the skills it will help you acquire/improve.
I have been trying to do one task a day, and I feel that the exercises she provides are already improving my writing, and my perspective and understanding of writing. Each task is also designed so that you can revisit them as many times as you like, so even after you have completed the exercises in the book it will still be a well of inspiration that is just as useful as when you turned the first page.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in writing; whether you are an aspiring author or an accomplished one with a lack of inspiration. This fantastic book is worth every penny!
on 10 January 2011
I found this book really useful. Caroline Sharp makes it fun to read as well as a very useful tool for any writer whether just starting out or already writing and needing a bit of a push to keep going. The exercises are explained clearly including the amount of time to be spent on each and they can be repeated as often as you want. I bought A Writers's Workbook because as the facilitator of a couple of writing groups I am always searching for new and interesting exercises for group members to try. 'Picture This' and 'Finish the Thought' are both exercises which went down well.
I'd recommend it to anyone who really wants to write and is prepared to put in the time and actually try all the exercises. Some you may never want to do again but others you will surely come back to because each time leads to creating new writing. Reviewed by Mary Smith author of No More Mulberries
on 31 August 2013
Along with Writing alone, Writing Together by Judy Reeves, this book is a great one for getting the writing juices flowing. Exercises are good for changing state and producing a new approach to writing. She seems to have understood how my mind works and realises that offering her own findings on how to write and produce work that flows better, and gets you more in the mood for writing. will give you a rush of enthusiasm. Great books together if you want to start your own writing circle. Inspired topic for a book to share.
on 15 June 2009
I am using this book in two ways, to help with my own writing but also and probably more related is the use of the exercises in an Inspired Creative Writing Group I facilitate.

Has helped me to generate and create new ideas.