Customer reviews

on 14 June 1999
This book is an examination of the scientific factors that drive the Star Wars movies. While the author did her homework on the 4 movies and really knows her science, the book has a tendancy to draw conclusions from JUST the 4 movies. Several points the text tries to explain have already been explained in the other Star Wars comics, novels, and sourcebooks. And while a few references are made to the Star Wars Encyclopedia, other details that would clear up some questions posed by this book aren't in the movies but in the afore mentioned works. While the book does go a long way towards explaining the movies it seems to focus more on the advances of simply OUR planet than the advances in the Star Wars galaxy. This, however is no reason not to read this book. It is well researched and I learned a lot from it. All in all worth it for the casual reader who has only seen the movies but for the die hard Star Wars fans like me (geeks in other words;)) it seems a bit empty. But that does not diminish the quality and readability of the book.
on 30 August 1999
The world of Star Wars is a very interesting one, but there is no reason to show how one theory or another agrees with everything George Lucas created. Lucas did not look to science for his ships, weapons, aliens, or The Force, and science is not "trying to catch up with Star Wars," as the author posits. The science of the book is very interesting and well-written, but the subject matter is not one that requires a scientific explanation.
on 16 July 1999
This book is the probably the book that will drive me to my final career choice of either robotics or astrophysics. Over two days of reading it, I am almost done reading its 250 pages. I strongly recommend it to anybody who can read decently. It is not written at an astrophysicist's reading level -- I am a high school freshman and I understood it. Dr. Cavelos makes wonderful analogies that have driven me to understand the workings of gravity and wormholes -- concepts that in the past have always gone right past me. It should be required reading in physical science classes.
on 24 August 1999
This book is written in a readable way that touches on many of the major topics brought up by physics. I think it is a great starting point for those of us that wan't to leap into physics. Being thirteen I have to give her credit for making the book understandable, quantum mechanics is pretty hard to explain and it takes someone who knows what she's talking about to do so. It has brought me to the point where my mind begins to understand things, and starts asking questions! It has furthered my desire to be an astrophysicist and is quite a good book!
on 10 May 2012
Jeanne Cavelos' The Science of Star Wars looks into the scientific plausibility of elements of the Star Wars Universe. Topics are broken up into a handful or categories such as Planetary Environments, Aliens, Droids, Spaceships and Weapons and The Force...

Though there is a great deal of depth to the Science of Star Wars, the language is not too complex - all the better for simpletons like me...
on 21 July 1999
This has been the most interesting and well written book that I have ever read. It explains complex and very abstract concepts in a way that ordinary people can understand. I am very impressed with her and cannot wait for her to write another book like this.
on 14 April 2001
This was an informative, accessible approach to many topics which are usually presented in a boring/dry way. I would recommend it to anyone interested in science. It would make a great gift for a high-school reader.
on 10 August 1999
SOme of the sections in this book were easy to understand and interesting, others were confusing, and some was kinda stupid. The planet section isn't the best, but it sort of builds it all up. The alien section was good,and I understood it. The droids was possibly the best part. The starship and weapons part was fascinating, but I didn't get all of the faster than light stuff. Of course, I'm not even in high school yet. Explaining the force was kind of stupid. It isn't real, it wasn't mean't to be real, and it defies all science.
on 15 April 2011
This Star Wars Science Book arrived in VG Condn & within the postage time as decribed. Plus its also an entertaining informative read! Recommended.