on 7 January 2015
Love this book!
on 24 November 2013
When I received this copy to review I couldn't wait to share it with my class. They all know the song the 12 days of Christmas and felt they could join in with parts of the book.

They loved the illustrations by the wonderful Quentin Blake, they are familiar with his drawings from reading other stories with his illustrations in.

This is a very funny version of the song and we follow Emily and what she receives from her admirer,in letter versions. The children found it very funny to imagine actually getting the gifts from the song. They were giggling throughout the story and I also found it funny.

I think this is a great little book in the run up to Christmas as a stocking filler or as a gift to yourself. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a little chuckle and this should be a firm book on everyone's bookshelf to share around this time of year!

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this copy.
Surely, like me (and evidently the author) everyone has wondered: just what DOES a woman do with French hens, swans, milkmaid and drummers?

Well, it's not a fairytale ending. But it's a brilliantly subversive one. Though be warned - it's only 12 pages of text (but some priceless illustrations too).

Quentin Blake perfectly conveys the wickedness and hilarity of the poem. Emily writes back to we betrothed each day, become less as less enamoured of her romantic Christmas gifts.

My favourite days were days 9 and 10 - I loved Norwich's interpretation of the ladies dancing and the naughty, naughty Lords... Be ready to snort!

I'll be purchasing copies next Christmas. I know a few people who will share my glee at this irreverence.

P.S. While children will enjoy this, I think it's best appreciated by us grown ups.
on 5 December 2007
How would post-feminist modern woman really respond if given A Partridge in a Pear-Tree, or any of the other absurd presents in the list?

I was wondering what I was going to give Noel and Ellen...
on 16 October 2000
It's no wonder that this little hardback is often out of stock, for it has to be the ideal Christmas stocking filler for anyone who enjoys books. Even as a child I remember singing this Christmas classic and thinking how ludicrous it was that anyone should send a gift of "eight-maids-a-milking". John Julius Norwich has transported these oddball lyrics into the 21st century and the female recipient of these peculiar Christmas presents responds as any sane person might. Buy this little gem as a gift for someone, and I guarantee you'll want another copy for yourself!
on 4 January 2011
This is absolutely my favourite festive book ever. I'm sure I can't be the only person who has ever thought how inconvenient the gifts in the song `The Twelve Days of Christmas' would actually be to receive. In fact, with the exception of the five gold rings, I would be thoroughly peeved if my true love gave me any of those things. In this marvellous little book, John Julius Norwich takes the song to its logical conclusion and, in a series of increasingly frosty letters from Emily to her true love Edward, examines exactly how someone might react if they were to receive nine ladies dancing.

The style of the letters is wonderful, and the subtly nuanced changes of vocabulary and tone as Emily becomes more and more disenchanted with her admirer's gifts are very well executed. I particularly like the way that the way she opens and closes her letters becomes gradually more curt and formal.

Quentin Blake's illustrations really make this book, as far as I'm concerned. Both Emily and the partridge, the first innocuous gift, look increasingly perturbed as the book progresses, and the pictures further on in the book as more gifts arrive are positively exuberant. They manage to make the scenes seem noisy and chaotic even though they are static. This is the perfect book to read when you're in need of a good chuckle.
on 21 December 2013
This has to rank among the very best of Christmas stories. It is fun; it has wit and is wonderful to read aloud to a large number of people. Highly recommended, partly for the wonderful illustrations by Quentin Blake!
on 23 November 2013
Fabulous present for friends at Christmas - have bought a dozen. A book to bring out each year to bring cheer.
on 25 November 2011
I bought this today as a gift and it really is a perfect stocking filler. Unlike some stocking filler type books it is also something you would actually pick up more than once - very funny! The characters inside are named Edward and Emily so I thought it made a particularly good gift for someone with one of those names.
on 5 March 2013
Great fun! An inspired set of letters of the recipient of the the presents received over the twelve days of Christmas. Can you imagine receiving 365 presents, just count up carefully how many presents the true love sent to his girlfriend.