on 28 January 2018
Good content but text small and very ‘busy’ Quite a ‘heavy’ read
on 21 August 2012
A very helpful little book, that sets out clearly the Biblical position for Christians on this sometimes thorny subject. Recommended for anyone who is concerned about this situation especially as advise from well meaning people can often be confusing.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2012
A very interesting book which gives bible based thought on a difficult subject. It is well worth reading and thinking about what is written.
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2015
Tough read but relevant
on 10 April 2017
Incredible book. Highly recommend.
on 18 July 2014
Gives a clear analysis of the Bible's teaching on the subject, blowing away many of our preconceptions.
One person found this helpful
on 5 February 2015
Some very interesting and well backed up points made.
on 24 November 2014
excellent service and book
on 10 August 2013
For biblical purists this will be a welcome approach, even if all particulars are not accepted. I have radically changed position through this book, but decades on have some points I would amend, add nuance to. A particular objection is Adam's position (I hope I have read & remembered him aright) that an OT prohibition of remarrying someone you divorced, if in the interim they had married. I agree that his point was valid under the Sinaitic Covenant, but I no longer accept the Sinaitic as valid. As for biblical grounds for divorce, I still hold his Erasmian position: two grounds exist. I fear the trajectory of sympathetic noncanonical grounds which some Christians add to Scripture. Israel's Gone Global (2013) suggests a more covenant-sensitive approach, still very much affirming much of Adams'.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2008
Although an admirer of Adams, in general, I was skeptical that this book could teach me anything new that I had not learned from other similar books. I was wrong. I did have a frozen notion about divorce and remarriage (from an independent-fundamentalist view) and Adams competely dismantled it for me, using the Bible.
The layout of the book is easy to read and he never spends too much or too little time elucidating his points. I really appreciate that.
I also found it useful to show me how I might pray for friends that are struggling through some of the issues that he brings up. Best of all, I put the book down with a sense of hope that God still moves in marriages and can heal the wounds inflicted, no matter how deep. I found the book not only educational and Biblically-based, but also inspiring!
Thank you Jay E. Adams!