Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2006
This book was amazing. Being in complete despair at the death of a relationship (we were not married but living together) this book was exactly what I needed to give me hope that there was something I could do to turn it around even though the whole situation was hopeless. This book doesn't have to be just for Christians but for anyone! At first I read it and although it gave me hope I felt "but you don't know my partner and that just won't work with him!" When the relationship was all but dead I picked up the book again (please also read "Love life for every married couple" same author) and thought that there was nothing else left to try. My partner was hostile etc etc.. we had even tried living seperately (it got much worse at this point) but one thing the book said was don't seperate, never underestimate the advantage of living together. I managed to find a way to be back in the same house, he was very reluctant at first but went along with it for a short term 3 week period whilst these reasons for being back were getting sorted out. It took just less than 2 weeks for him to realise he didn't want me to leave! I had to look deep into myself and what I needed to change within me before anything would change between us. I had to figure out what his triggers were and be very careful not to say or do anything that would reinforce his reasoning as to why the relationship was finished. It's not easy but with every rejection I just kept saying that I have to expect it but he will see a change eventually. One other thing is and the book reinforces this is that you have to be 100% committed to making it work. It's a humbling experience and it works. Good luck
on 25 January 2007
Written from a Christian perspective, Ed Wheat seems to concentrate on the biblical aspects of the relationship, which is fine if you are a believer.

The book does make some valuable insights into what fails in relationships and has some valid strategies for change, however, I found it very hard work to extract the good advice from the religious spin contained within it's pages

My conclusion is that, this will work for you if you are a committed Christian in a Christian relationship, if not, you may see it as being more interested in trying to convert you to religion, than solving your problems.
on 18 November 2011
I was very much looking forward to receiving this book and it helping and guiding me. I had read some other reviews of it being a small but powerful book.. Well, unfortunately this was completely not the case for me. This book is geared towards very religious people and the advice is based on Bible readings. I am certainly not an atheist but nevertheless, it has not helped me and I do not believe it is relevant in our current decade!
on 19 October 2013
This book is small but every page is a compulsive read. It is written for anyone who needs help to hang on to their marriage. God invented marriage and he knows exactly what is required to help you get back to where you and your spouse and your family need to be. If you are looking at this book for yourself or someone else, I urge you to buy it. It is written by someone who walked out every suggestion made and every piece of guidance mentioned throughout.
It is not a theoretical guide, but a genuine, honest account of what it takes to have a fulfilling marriage. If you have lost hope, then this book will speak to you.
on 18 November 2011
Absolutely useless 'book'. Virtually no advice of any value.
Complete and utter waste of money. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
on 17 February 2006
As a non believer I don't mind a Christian slant on things but this book is for the fully signed up God fearing Christians only. The general guist of the book is the only time you should leave a marriage is to avoid physical violence otherwise you must stick with your spouse whatever. You must love them as you would want to be loved and they will eventually recipricate as this God's way.
on 16 July 2013
It remains to be seen if I can save my marriage alone, but there are nuggets of sheer wisdom in this book that have helped me through some very difficult times.
It's very small, but worth every penny.
on 21 December 2013
I enjoyed the book. I brings back focus to what is important. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to stand for marriage
on 7 July 2016
some useful tips. it makes you look at yourself for issues instead of just blaming your partner