Customer reviews

on 26 April 2017
A great book, despite having been written a few years ago, it still retains its relevance to modern Christianity. A fascinating look at the human body in connection to many aspects of living the faith.
on 31 July 2017
Not quite as good as 'Fearfully and wonderfully made' but still well worth reading. Together they are a really thought-provoking read.
on 21 September 2015
I love this book and the quality is as good as new.
on 18 February 1998
I have enjoyed reading and re-reading this book over the last decade. As a surgeon, I can appreciate Dr. Brand's sense of wonder for the human body, and as a Christian, I appreciate the parallels Brand and Yancey have drawn between the human body and the body of Christ. I enthusiastically recommend this book (and its companion volume FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE).
on 9 May 2011
I was really impressed by the first book in the trilogy looking with a surgeon's knowledge at how the design of the human body teaches us things about God. So on finishing "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" I immediately bought the other 2 books in the series "In His Image" and "The Gift of Pain" however it took a while for me to start reading "In His Image" partly as I thought since I was so amazed by the first book I was probably going to have such high expectations for the others that I would be disappointed. Well I was not disappointed.

"In His Image" looks at the functions of the body in 5 sections - Image, Blood, Head, Spirit and Pain. How the biological functions work are explained very clearly, I have no medical knowledge and found myself once again in awe of how the body works. Brand's brilliance is not only explaining how the body works but relating it to what that may mean in terms of better understanding the way the Bible describes God, for example the section on the Head reflects on what does that mean as we think about references to Christ as the Head of the church and the church as the Body. In the section of Blood what are the functions of blood in the body such as removing the waste products from the system and carrying the life necessary elements where they are required.

This book offers a great deal to reflect on. Although it is the second in the series you would not need to read "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" in order to understand "In His image", but since they are both great books I would recommend you read them both.
on 16 February 1999
Paul Brand succeeds in getting the reader to more clearly understand the spiritual metaphor of the Body of Christ--the church. His illumination of the design and function of our body's organs, features, and specialized intricacies both inspire awe in the body as the work of a masterful Creator and bring new meaning to Biblical concepts, such as blood, breath, head, and suffering.
on 10 December 1997
I just wanted to let people know how much I enjoyed this book. Being from a medical background, this book really tied my biblical and medical knowledge together in a moving way.
on 15 January 2014
Like the rest of Paul Brands books, this is one great book packed with amazing information about the complex Human Body.
We are the handy-work of God and such a complex being could not have been produced by the theory of a "Big Bang".
on 13 December 2014
An amazing wonderful book - this is my second copy as I'd lent my original (!!) and it is one I always want to have around. How incredible is our Creator and His creation.
on 19 September 2013
What an interesting and enlightening book and I recommend that people read it and get to know how wonderfully mankind is created by God