Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 May 2011
There are few books that have such a life changing impact as this beautifully written and crafted piece. Working right back from the idea that part of the fall was to do with mankind being tempted to see all they haven't got and that this brings ingratitude into the world. If we want to reverse this and life a full life, full of gifts, full of intimacy, we need to learn to live with a thankful heart. So many small but golden jewels sparkling through the precious insight into Ann Voskamp's life.
A must, must, must read.
Highly recommendable.
on 30 December 2011
This is a must read for anyone seeking intimacy with God, renewal in prayer life or a more contented attitude.

Voskamp's premise is that thanksgiving, Eucharisteo, is at the heart of our daily walk with God. She explores and develops this idea in what is essentially a memoir, covering her, and her family's journey of gratitude. She is a homeschooling mother of 6 living on a pig-farm in Canada, and many of the images and experiences related are therefore very different from those of UK readers. This doesn't lessen their impact, or the book's relevance, as the focus is very much on being thankful in all situations.

This is no Pollyanna-ish gratitude though, she does not shy away from the 'hard Eucharisteo' of life's pain, grief and fears, the first chapters in particular deal with Voskamp's own tragic and difficult childhood. I did not agree with all of her conclusions, particularly in relation to God's will, but this did not detract in any way from the helpfulness of the book. I had already started a gratitude list before reading the book, but I found it deepened my understanding of gratitude, and inspired me to pursue God's beauty around me.

This book, and the discipline of keeping a gratitude list, have been transformative in my life, and I've continued to re-read it over the past year. One final warning: while the writing is lyrical, and this almost always makes the book a pleasure to read, at times I felt her point was a little obscured by the poetry. I also found her distinctive syntax a bit jarring at times.
on 23 November 2011
This amazing book is beautifully written and will live in your heart for a very long time. There is so much here that one read is not enough - I am currently reading it for a second time and enjoying it just as much. It may well change your life and your heart. Don't worry, it's not a saccharine sweet book about being happy all the time. Ann Voskamp has known pain and heartache in her life, but this book shows how God has led her step by step into a deeper relationship with Him. It's absolutely beautiful and I can't think of many books that I would recommend this highly.
on 10 March 2012
Excellent book. I have bought so many copies to share with family and friends. It had such an impact on me and my thinking about the hum drum everyday and the difficult seasons in life and helped me focus on giving thanks in everything and finding God in the moment. Don't by it if you don't like a challenge!
on 21 January 2016
Love this book. This inspired me to write 100 things I love about my family, individually. They were overwhelmed and also loved this book. It's beautiful and meaningful and her writing style is very unique. Highly recommend if you're tired of the usual Christian books.
on 27 December 2015
I bought this book to help me as I'm learning how to cope with life after the death of my teenage daughter from the side-effects of her cancer treatment. Ann Voskamp writes in very flowery, poetic language which I have found to be something of an “acquired taste”. I prefer a more direct, down to earth style.

Having said all of that, her book is very good and I’m learning a lot from her.

Ann suffered many adverse experiences in life including witnessing her little sister being knocked down and killed by a truck. She has struggled emotionally, but she eventually learned the importance of giving thanks to God for the many good things that we have in our lives.

This book really is about so much more than this, it’s also about finding God in the everyday moments of our daily lives. I have found this a very helpful way to look at things. I recommend visiting Ann Voskamp's website also as she has many other inspiring products. I write a more detailed review on my blog: https://victoriawhyte.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/one-thousand-gifts/
on 10 July 2012
One Thousand Gifts is subtitled 'a dare to live fully right where you are'. It is a beautifully written book which calls us to put aside our anxiety and cynicism and to recognise the gifts and grace of God all around us, to name and list them and to develop a heart of gratitude. I'm quite firmly attached to my anxiety and cynicism but the account of the author's journey have challenged me to try to make a difference.
on 30 April 2014
I was given this book by a dear friend and the message is strong - we should be grateful to God in all circumstances. I believe God is good and has the perfect plan for our lives, therefore, we should not question Him when things go awry. But Ann Voskamp has an unusual writing style. For example, 'I can still hear our daughter squealing ecstasy as the ball rolled toward her and the room rang, turned inside out with the bouncing glee. We laughed wonder. Daughter had stretched out her two little arms, clutched that giant globe in two chubby hands, and held it high over her head, her own face tilted back, the round wonders meeting. Again and again, my aunt hit replay: roll ball into purest delight, child squeals laughter, roll again. Our sides hurt happy from the laughter.' (page 166). I felt that Ann Voskamp's forced 'poetic' style (if that was her intention?) detracted from her message. As an avid reader, I found her writing style unique, but not enjoyable.
on 4 November 2014
This book is the sort of book you will not only enjoy and underline lots while you read it for the first time, but you will revisit and extract more and more in times to come. It'll most likely be a classic - A Must Read!!
on 18 April 2012
This is a beautiful book - though not necessarily an easy read - some of it is challenging but good for Christian spiritual growth. I bought a copy for a friend who loves it too! Would recommend this book to anyone who is exploring where God is in their life and how He hen we follow him.